Thread: Removing mirror glass from Irmy mirrors?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Removing mirror glass from Irmy mirrors?

Just got a set of brand new Irmy mirrors this morning. The instructions say to remove the mirror glass in order to dissamble the mirror housing ready for spraying. I've pushed in the top right hand corner in order to get the bottom left to stick out, I can almost get my fingers under the glass it's so far out. However they say just pull and the glass will pop out, mines a bit more stubborn than that, I can feel the glass starting to flex and it still won't come out. Is there an easier way to remove these without causing me to fill my undies in fright as I really don't want to shatter the glass.

Any help guys?
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Er new problem just got one out, brother in law came round as he has really thin fingers and he popped one out no problem. However I expected the mirror housing to have screws inside which hold the housing to the mirror arm but it doesn't. How does the mirror housing and the mounting plate seperate?
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They dont. You just have the whole thing sprayed with the glass in.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Both mirror glasses are now out Raz, the instructions tell you to remove them before spraying. Also advises to remove the mirror motors as well. My mirrors appear to be a slightly different design from the old ones, mine have a small insert between the mirror housing and the mounting plate, bit like a cushion but hard plastic.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oddjob you are a brave man!

I dardnt take mine out for fear of it smashing.
    Even at work i hate doing standard mirror glasses as they always seem to break, just be very careful putting them back in as i imagine that an irmy glass is difficult and expensive to get hold of.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok just to inform everyone about the new mirror design that Irmscher appear to have introduced and how to take them apart. Here's how to do it.

Mirrors are fairly easy so long as you have the nerve. Push in the top right hand corner(passenger side, top left for drivers side) until bottom left (right) is out as far as it can go. Get someone with thin fingers or use a L shaped piece of wood/plastic and the mirrors just pop off the 4 mounting lugs on each corner. Not hard to do just scary. Unclip the electric connections.

Remove the mirror motor from the mirror housing, 3 screws holding it in place, pop off the back of the motor and unsolder the 3 wires making sure you note or write down which colour goes to which terminal. I took pics so I wouldn't forget. Pull all the wiring through and store all pieces safely whilst you get the mirrors sprayed.

Mirror mounts and mirror housing are now held together by 3 push type pins running into 2 new type inserts which are screwed onto the mounting plate. Stand on the mounting plate and pull upward fairly hard, the 2 parts will seperate, don't pull too hard and end up flat on your back and try and pull straight. I did one standing on it and one just between my arms sitting down. Both methods work fine if your careful. Unscrew the small inserts from the mounting plates and store all screws, plates and pins from each side seperately as they are slightly different. If in doubt take notes or pics.

I'm having the little inserts chrome plated as I think that will look smart between the 2 Star Silver pieces. Unusual and unique is the look I'm going for

Watch this space for finished result in a few weeks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    i dont like doing the mirror glass as well they smash very easy when you pop them back on the car i have done this a few times