Thread: Cleaning White mk4 ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cleaning White mk4 ?

Whats the best way to clean a white mk4 astra ? It just doesnt seem to shine like other cars and the paint looks dull.

At the mo i wash it with good ole bucket n sponge,turtlewax every 2nd day due to being white. A slap of old skool t-cut once a week or so, bought some wax, forget the name but going to se that also.

Is there anything i should be doing ? Want it to shine, wanna see me luvly face in the reflection lolol

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay... Here's what I would do if you're serious about getting a damn good shine... (my own personal opinions here)

First up, throw the T-cut away. Its like liquid sandpaper, an abrassive cleaner (and not a very good one) designed for use no more than about once every six months. Too much use, and you'll be right through your clear coat in no time!

This may sound kinda strange, but ideally stop washing your car with a sponge too - I know this sounds like madness, but a sponge has a very flat surface, dirt gets stuck on the surface of the sponge and when you swipe it across the paint you leave lots of little hairline scratches in the paint. These are harder to notice on a white car, but look at the paint under the halogen lights of a petrol station and you'll see what I mean... If you can, get a sheepskin or lambswool washmit, they are far kinder to paint.

Get yourself a good quality car shampoo, thats designed for use of polished and waxed paintwork so that it doesn't strip off your wax protection (Turtle wax will strip away your wax protection) - try Meguiars NXT Wash, or Meguiars Gold Class.

You'll need to rejuvinate your paint if its lookin dull, and I'd go for the three stages of the Meguiars Deep Crystal system - its dead easy to do, and I've founf the results on my Star Silver Astra to be very good with these products. First up, use Meguiars QuikClay Detailing system on the car, this will make the paint smooth so polishes and waxes are easier to apply and have greater effect. DC#1 is a paint cleaner (non-abrasive equivalent of T-cut, much safer and easier to use), this will deep clean the paint, and mask the hairline scratches I mentioned earlier, and any oxidation left by bird bombs etc... Then, DC#2 is a polish which will effectively wet the paint by adding paint oils, replacing depleted paint oils that will be making your finish look dull. This stage I find makes the biggest difference, the car will come up with a wet-look shine after this stage. Finally, DC#3 seals in the shine (its a pure wax with no cleaning ability), it'll deepen the gloss and seal in the shine for good protection. Then just wash regularly - re-apply the wax as required (once every three to four weeks should be fine), and repeat the whole process every six months or so.

All mentioned products available from Halfords, or on line from www.seriousperformance.co.uk (Alex is a top bloke, great advice and his P+P is free!).

Hope this helps a little, feel free to give me a shout if you want to know any more!

Cheers,

Dave
    Stock car racing - if they get in the way, put them away!!

Real race cars don't have doors!!

Sir Castic

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dave, enough said, top marks mate!

Old skool, you should be looking New skool once you've finished! Also, highly rate
    Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner.

(EXCUSE THE CHEESE LOL)
    Irmscher parts irmscher-bits.com
    ask 4 Dave & mention Darren SXi 1.8 sent u!

Performance Vauxhall Show 'A-S Cleanest Car' 2006

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follw what kirby says, but you wanna clay that car too, most white paints are single stage and very hard, not sure about the astra; however, you want the paint as clean as possible. So polishes that have cleaning abilities are ideal for your car.

The only way you will see your face in the car will be under the correct circumstances and on a totally and unterly clean and contamination free surface. White is THE hardest paint to look good so post pics once your dun!
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/detailcity/
    we detail.............not valet

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you ever thought of getting it machine polished???shame your in glasgow,i deal with bodywork for a living and could sort this out for you but its hell of a way to come!!!LOL.get it machined and keep giving it loadsa wax!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Getting it G3 polished could bring it up nicely OS mate.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Machine polished is an option but rather do it myself tbh

wtf is g3 ? lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    G3 is like t cut, just a liquid sandpaper. Its very very harsh not what your after. Its probably best to start off with something less abbrasive as you stated u have been using t-cut so your clear coat is probably thinnin down. Better to be safe than sorry.
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/detailcity/
    we detail.............not valet

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would give serious consideration to the Meguiars Deep Crystal stuff, as it is non abrasive and easier to use. T-cut is abrasive, old technology and tends to leave in more scrathes than it takes out to be fair. Alternatively, from the bodyshop range, Meguiars do a swirl free polish but this is best applied with a DA (random orbit buffer).
    Stock car racing - if they get in the way, put them away!!

Real race cars don't have doors!!

Sir Castic

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_
    G3 is like t cut, just a liquid sandpaper. Its very very harsh not what your after. Its probably best to start off with something less abbrasive as you stated u have been using t-cut so your clear coat is probably thinnin down. Better to be safe than sorry.
    G3 AS STATED ABOVE CORRECTLEY,IS A VERY HARSH COMPOUND,IF I WERE TO MACHINE POLISH A CAR THAT HAD NOT BEEN "WET FLATTED" IN ORDER TO BRING THE COLOUR BACK UP I USE AN ADVANCED COMPOUND/POLISH.I DEAL WITH CAR BODYWORK EVERY DAY.THE STUFF I WOULD USE ON THIS IS A PRODUCT CALLED CHROMA 1500,MADE BY PRESTA.THIS IS A RECENT RIVAL OF FARECLA WHOM THE PRODUCT "G3" IS MANUFACTURED BY.CHROMA 1500 APPLIED WITH A LAMBSWOOL MOPHEAD WILL IN THE RIUGHT HANDS GIVE YOU OUTSTANDING SWIRL FREE FINISHES.IT WILL TAKE AN EXPERIENCED USER LIKE MYSELRF,APPROX 2 TO 3 HRS JUST TO MACHINE POLISH A CAR THE SIZE OF AN ASTRA.ONCE MACHINED IT WOULD BENEFIT FROM A GOOD QUALITY HAND POLISH TAKEN OFF BY 3M MICROFIBRE CLOTH.AND THEN A GOOD QUALITY WAX,AGAIN REMOVED BY THE SAID CLOTH.THIS FINISH WOULD NOT BE BEATEN,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast