Thread: Forced Induction .......

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Forced Induction .......

HI PPL, I Have just de-restricted my air box and fitted a K&N panel filter, ppl have fitted a vectra induct to re-place the astra-g one but i was thinking of getting a big hose (about quadruple the volume size of the vectra intake) to go from the air box straight to the front bumper.

I have been told from a friend of a friend of a friend that this is not a good idea as it will mess with the air mass sensor thingy as vauxhall ones are pretty sensitive and i won't get a correct mixture of air and petrol (will get too much air) and will end up with having poor performance than standard, and have a dodgy running engine even when put back to standard.

Is this true??? if so are their any other options to the vectra intake (apart from the pipercross hose)

Also haven't noticed any difference in accelaration or top speed or general smooth running from de-restricting my air box and having a K&N panel filter could this be because a lack of air getting through???

sorry for the detailed story but anybodys opnion or advice would be helpful, cheers
    SPORT TO SIXTY IN 8.6 SECS

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm, a derestricted air box and panel filter ain't really going to have a massive impact on anything, may see a very very slight increase in power tho.

Fitting a big air intake won't mess up a sensor, the engine will only use the amount of air that it draws in,it won't get "flooded" with air, the theory is that cold air is dense, so you can fit more within the cylinder. The ecu then senses this from the air sensor and puts in more fuel. So a bigger bang, more power.

Just get a pipe running into the airbox to feed cold air in
    My mk3,117K, and the engine is still going strong
    shame about the car shell tho,lol.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sport4me, what engine do you have? I have the X20XEV in my mk4 SRi, and the difference after doing the derestric air box (top&bottom), k&n panel and vec-c pipe was noticeable, esp when comming off roundabouts hard.

Using a pipe from bumper to airbox is a good idea. I tried it but there was not enough space due to my air-con radiator. Be careful not to get water in the pipe, as astras have been flooded in the past by driving through deep puddles with this kind of intake pipe. Other than scooping up water, the pipe wont do your engine any harm.
    B.A.D.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sport4me
    I have been told from a friend of a friend of a friend that this is not a good idea as it will mess with the air mass sensor thingy as vauxhall ones are pretty sensitive and i won't get a correct mixture of air and petrol (will get too much air) and will end up with having poor performance than standard, and have a dodgy running engine even when put back to standard.
    Sorry mate - your distant friend is talking utter bollocks.

If the AMM can't handle too much air how come my car runs just as well with air going in the intake at 10mph as it does with it going in at 130mph??

Why? Because the AMM is doing it''s job and measuring the air going in and adjusting everything accordingly.

Now go andslap that fool

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    Sorry mate - your distant friend is talking utter bollocks.
    Straight to the point there geoff lmao
    My mk3,117K, and the engine is still going strong
    shame about the car shell tho,lol.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol!!!

Mr Bluntness!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry if that canme across as a bit blunt - wasn't mean to.

All a bigger inlet track will do on a N/A car is allow the engine to suck in the air more easily, - tis' the diffrrence between sucking a straw or sucking a drain pipe.

But he was talking bollocks tho

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the X18xe1 engine with air con due to the lack of space the only place i could think of putting the pipe from the air box woz on the front bumper, but i think i will get a pipe and see if any difference in power and if so try and arrange to fit it up near the grille.

Also about a friend of a friend he drives a lil 1.1 saxo need i say more, (no offence to VTR users as i had one and i would not "dis" one of them!)

Thanks for all the replys, will try and find the BIGGEST FAT pipe to try and make a bit of diff to the way the engine runs, cheers......
    SPORT TO SIXTY IN 8.6 SECS