Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Changing drive belt

Hi,
    Last saturday, I took my coupe to Vauxhall to get it's cam belt and water pump changed. Whilst there, they did the 'free' safety check. One of the problems they identified was severe perishing to my drive belt.
    I'm going to have a go at changing it tomorrow. Has anyone got any pointers for me? Ive never done much like this before.
    The car is a 1.8 2000 reg, and has power steering and air con if that makes a difference?
    Thanks!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First pointer is go and get a Haynes Maunal!!! - they don't do one specifically for the coupe but your engine, and most other bits, is adequately covered in the hatch one.

It's the best option as you can refer to the book rather than get stuck, post on here and possibly wait in vain for a (correct) reply.

It's not a difficult job, just a bit exacting when it comes to tensioning it - It's all in the book

Rosco83
    I second that =o)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thanks. I asked the question about the haynes manual the other night and there were mixed replies. I'll sort one out when i go get the belt tomorrow.
    Cheers.
    Coupe 1.8 - 2000 - Titan Gold - Standard

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunaltey that's the trouble on here at times, of late - too many without a clue posting utter garbage so the decent information get lost in a sea of piffle. Haynes' are invaluable for stuff like this, and it'll pay for itself many times over in saved garage bills.

Good luck with the drive belt job

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    15mm spanner, push the suto tensioner back, remove the belt, refit as tyhe belt comes off.
    Easy job

You might have to remove the engine mount, cant quite remember as ive had a few Jd's!, but even so, support with a jack and a block and only lower it enough to slide the belt out.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    Unfortunaltey that's the trouble on here at times, of late - too many without a clue posting without garbage so the decent information get lost in a sea of piffle.
    Here Here!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, i've also had haynes manuals in the past for situations exactly like these. When i saw that there isnt a specific one for the coupe, i asked the question whether it would be suitable, and like i said, got a mixed reply.
    Thanks for the advice though (on both the belt and manual) i'll go sort it out tomorrow!

James
    Coupe 1.8 - 2000 - Titan Gold - Standard

Rosco83
    Well... it may not cover the coupe, but... the coupe is an astra, with very similar setups, and the same engines & running gear. And it is of course... an astra. It just wont cover all the other coupe specific stuff like interior trim, certain panels etc but you wont regret buying a haynes manual.... ive never looked back. well worth £12

Oh.... and good luck bud, just take your time =o)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haynes manuals are a life saver and would definitely get one. As for the belt change its really easy (on a hatch!), no need to removed anything, just get a spanner on the tensioner, push it back, slide the belt off and refit the new belt (it doesn't go around the engine mount so you dont need to remove it).

Incidentally the haynes manual procedure for doing the same thing is a little more involved involving taking the wheel arch lining out etc.

Word of caution, I changed my belt a few months ago and now the alternator bearing is starting to whine, could be coincidence or could be the extra tension that a new belt provides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast