Thread: Discussion on: Opinions on other peoples cars

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Discussion on: Opinions on other peoples cars

Recently we have had a slight increase on comments that we feel is not needed regarding other peoples cars on this forum. Astra-Sport is known for its friendliness, great community and good atmosphere, as its a car related site and a great place to show your car off this is a critical part of the site we feel needs to come under discussion.

All we want on A-S is for people to be honest and not feel they can not express their true opinion but to also think about how they would word their comments regarding their own view on a members car. For example:

"That car is bloody disgusting what do you think you are doing "

OR it could be said like this

"Cars not really my sort of thing sorry, but its coming along"

Or even better

Just don't comment at all, you don't have to reply to all threads.

Now what would you like to see on A-S?? The cutting brutally honest comments or try and be a little nicer about some one else pride and joy (the way you feel about your own car).

Comment if you like or just vote in the above poll As always we try and discuss any relevant ideas/opinions on how the site moves on and changes as the site gets larger.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think it depends on the person Mat, some people might be offended by criticism, others relish it. Usual problem, you cant please everyone!

I think so long as people are tactful, and criticise constructively, and aim it at the car, not the owner then it's not so bad. But there's deffo a line, and IMO you cross it when you start on the owner of the car.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'd rather people be honest about their views, but not upset the owner, so i voted Tactfully honest.... (1st person to vote too...)

Everyone is allowed to give their opinions but at the end of the day, who's the owner - the owner mite be happy with it - if the owner disses his own car, they have that right.

People who diss other cars, they are allowed to have their views, but like i said, mite be upsetting to the owner. I saw this coupe thread where someone disses his car, saying what have you done to it...

I didnt like it, so i didnt reply to the thread. Thats the best method for me

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If people ask for a brutally honest opinion, they leave 'emselves wide open for a slating. If they then get offended, they shouldn't have asked for the brutal truth!

But like the whole idea of not replying if you dont like it! Think is...how many times would you a thread with no replies! lol!
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    be honestyer but constructive critism is better than a slag off

Mothers with teenagers know why animals eat their young

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im 'brutally honest'.....however if it is something i think is shockingly shit, i just wont comment anyway.

Regardless of how bad something looks, if someone told me my car looked really shit i wouldnt be best pleased.

Sometimes you just have to bite your tongue!
    02 Astra SRI Turbo
    MSN - olliestanton1984@hotmail.com

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    must admit i have been on the recieving end of a brutal comment, but thats thier opinions on the car/images that are displayed. at the end of the day it is in everybodies interest that this site is a friendly site (everywhere has their off days tho)
    constructive comments are always better as it not insulting and maybe the person may not have thought of that idea too.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As they say, honesty is the best policy! But there is a line, and i think it is best to handle these situations as yeah as peeps have already said, to be tactfully honest and express a criticism that is constructively useful. Brutal criticism is completely useless and IMO out of order, yeah everyone has a right to an opinion, but there is no need to overstep the mark. People have different tastes in what they think looks good and good mods and so on, and its just the way of life that someone people will also like it, but otheres may not. You have to bear in mind if your heavily criticising something that your dont like, you should consider what it would feel like to have it back at you.
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I've gone for Tactful.

The reason, if we all liked the same thing the world would be boring.
    Fitting Big spoilers, horrible body kits etc is fine on other cars, not mine.

My car is how I like it. If someone doesn't like it (for what ever reason), have the balls to tell me without being offensive or rude. Cause you'll get a two word answer and the Astra-sport beepometer would come into play.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Constructive critisism is a good thing - as long as it is constructive and objective.

I have always been of the opinion "don't pick fault, unless you've got a better idea".

Granted you take a chance of attracting the negative element everytime you post a picture of a mod you've done - but most members on here are polite, positive and supportive in their critique. But there seems to be a small element who you use it as an opportunity to take cheap shots, hiding behind their computer. And I don't think I've ever seen their cars - strange that!!!

I have seen many cars posted on AS that I think are truly awful (but some may think that of mine), but I appreciate that it is someones pride and joy, and therefore chose not to comment.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast