Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine rattle on idle

Hi folks

Ive got a rattle on my engine that only occurs when its hot and idling? Start the car in the morning, no rattle. Drive it round for 10 mins and the idle rattle is back.

Ive turned AC on/off, depressed clutch/brakes. It sounds like its coming from the timing belt cover. Ive removed the oil cap and noise didnt change.

Its got me baffled, anyone had anything similar or any ideas what could be causing it?

Cheers
    Pete

Rosco83
    lift the clutch in neutral and press it a few times... go away.. or get louder or quieter... could be clutch release bearing? i dunno much about cars...but could be that

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like it maybe the hydraulic tappets......they normally start tapping as the oil becomes less viscous as the oil becomes warm.

If it was the big end or anyother part of the engine that was excessively worn, i would expect the engine to rattle from start....wouldnt you guys?
    Oh as to where the hydraulic tappets are, on SOHC 8v engines they are under the camshaft....probably the same for the DOHC 16v engines.

Im not totally sure.....but would someone else please give an opinion on what they think this is.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco83
    lift the clutch in neutral and press it a few times... go away.. or get louder or quieter... could be clutch release bearing? i dunno much about cars...but could be that
    Tried this mate.. No difference in the sound.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browny_37
    sounds like it maybe the hydraulic tappets......they normally start tapping as the oil becomes less viscous as the oil becomes warm.

If it was the big end or anyother part of the engine that was excessively worn, i would expect the engine to rattle from start....wouldnt you guys?
    Oh as to where the hydraulic tappets are, on SOHC 8v engines they are under the camshaft....probably the same for the DOHC 16v engines.

Im not totally sure.....but would someone else please give an opinion on what they think this is.
    Tappets was what my first thought but the noise doesnt get any louder if I remove the oil filler cap which happened on other cars ive owned when the tappets were noisy.

It does sound like its coming from under the pulley cover.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How frequent is the rattle? I had a rattle which just sort of made the noise every second or so, not on every engine revolution, and it was something on the timing belt run, cos now i've had a new belt, tensioner, idler pulleys and water pump fitted, and the rattle is gone! Hope this helps.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got the same thing with my 1.8, havent a clue what it is, ive had the cam cover off etc-it sounds like it coming from that region
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phaser2001
    How frequent is the rattle? I had a rattle which just sort of made the noise every second or so, not on every engine revolution, and it was something on the timing belt run, cos now i've had a new belt, tensioner, idler pulleys and water pump fitted, and the rattle is gone! Hope this helps.
    The rattle is constant when the engine is warm. Increase the revs and the rattle disappears. Definately sounds like it is coming from the under the pulley cover.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Probably a dry bearing in the tensioners.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS
    Probably a dry bearing in the tensioners.
    Cheers bud, i'll check that out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast