Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic Convertors and there Purpose?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Catalytic Convertors and there Purpose?

Hey just learn't that the other day.
    That you create more pollutions mining for the materials that make the catalyst reaction in your Catalytic Convertor than the Catalytic Convertor would save during its lifetime on your car....seems pointless doesn't it.....robs power from you.....and does feck all for emmisions basically.

Anyone got any views against what i've just said?
    I'd like everyones opinions as it maybe relatively true what ive just said, i want to see if ppl do agree with me?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A cat just turns one problem into another. CO2 is a greenhouse gas remember, and cats make lots of it.
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why does your car have a catalytic converter.

Because of ENVIROMENTALISTS.

So because of ENVIROMENTALISTS.

You use MORE of the earths resources.

But you now produce the ENVIROMENTALISTS NEW favourite pollutant CO2, which is going to kill everyone.

So is ENVIROMENTALIST an anagram of TALKINGBOLLOCKS.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    but enviromentalist doesnt have a B in it... or a K... or a C for that matter :P
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea, they seem pointless.....i haven't got one on my car because its on a 89 plate lol.
    God Help me if it did have a Cat on my 1.3S id be down to about 65bhp lol.
    Rob a good 10bhp off of me probably.

Just an expensive way of making money when they go wrong too........aload of balls tbh...got to be rich to replace 2 Cats on a V6 havent you lol.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Let's put this perspective, as you're all IMO none of you are looknig at the bigger picture.

Firstly Cat's work in three ways .

a, The reduction catalyst is the first stage of the catalytic converter. It uses platinum and rhodium to help reduce the NOx emissions. When an NO or NO2 molecule contacts the catalyst, the catalyst rips the nitrogen atom out of the molecule and holds on to it, freeing the oxygen in the form of O2. The nitrogen atoms bond with other nitrogen atoms that are also stuck to the catalyst, forming N2. For example:

2NO => N2 + O2 or 2NO2 => N2 + 2O2.

FYI - Nitrogen oxides (NO and NO2, together called NOx) - contributes to smog and acid rain, and also causes irritation to human mucus membranes. As such the cat converts a harmful gas both locally and globally into two benign component gases of the air we breathe. Which is a good thing I'm sure you wil agree

b, The Oxidization Catalyst -The oxidation catalyst is the second stage of the catalytic converter. It reduces the unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide by burning (oxidizing) them over a platinum and palladium catalyst. This catalyst aids the reaction of the CO and hydrocarbons with the remaining oxygen in the exhaust gas. For example:

2CO + O2 => 2CO2

Carbon monoxide will kill you!! It is unstable and will readily bond with oxygen to produce CO2 anyway. If you breathe it in it takes oxygen from your blood - thereby suffocating you. The cat converts it into CO2 before it comes out of the tailpipe so you don't go blue. Granted CO2 is (supposedly) a greenhouse gas and would be produced anyway, regardless of the cat - but I'd rather have the cat covert the CO than my precious 8 pintsof red fliud

c, The third stage is a control system that monitors the exhaust stream, and uses this information to control the fuel injection system. There is an oxygen sensor mounted upstream of the catalytic converter, meaning it is closer to the engine than the converter is. This sensor tells the engine computer how much oxygen is in the exhaust. The engine computer can increase or decrease the amount of oxygen in the exhaust by adjusting the air-to-fuel ratio. This control scheme allows the engine computer to make sure that the engine is running at close to the stoichiometric point, and also to make sure that there is enough oxygen in the exhaust to allow the oxidization catalyst to burn the unburned hydrocarbons and CO.

Believe it or not - this makes your car run more efficently, by reporting back to the ECU that all is not well and adjustements to the fuel air mixture is needed - saving you money in reduced fule bills and maintenance costs.

Furthermore the arguements about creating more pollutants than they stop is total narrowminded bollocks. Your car and lifestyle is the strain on the planet's limited resources - in the manufacturing of the raw materials, the actual production of the car and every single mile you drive after that!! So I think you are being a little narrow minded and self-serving when you imply that the cat is unenvironmental - it is you (and me) my friends.

However, it is better (environmentally) to let one area suffer degradiation, than the whole planet: and that includes the area you line in and the air you breathe - its a process called zoning.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But a catted cat has to run richer to start of with. So the It's much more effeciant to have a well mantained lean burn non cat car.
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its all bollox - expensive,rob you of power and run @ near 1000deg ! Crock of tree hugging shite - all IMO of course

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes, i kind of agree with you all both.....but i can see where Ffoeg is coming from with it, i wrote a lengthy reply to this yday.
    And when i came to sending the message my computer had logged me out of Astra-Sport and i didnt make a copy of the damn essay id just wrote.

If we dont do anything about pollution before long, its going to be irreversable.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon-DTi
    But a catted cat has to run richer to start of with. So the It's much more effeciant to have a well mantained lean burn non cat car.
    A cat has to reach a certain temp for it to start working

That's the trouble - I agree about the well maintained lean burn, but a lot of a cars out there are not well maintained, so in a way the cat is a failsafe of all those. So don't blame the manufactures who are forced to put these on a car - blame the twats who never get their cars serviced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast