Thread: new tyres

Status
    ex 'titanturbo'
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

new tyres

just been talking to someone thats had 2 new tyres on and say theyve done them wrong they put 1 on passenger front and 1 on pasenger back the drivers side front and rear are old one part worn i say the new ones go on the back but not 100% sure. anyone know

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I thought all new tyres had to go on the rear now
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    http://www.driveradviser.com/tyre/faq.shtml#q12

Quote Originally Posted by From Dunlop's website

When replacing just two tyres on your vehicle, where should they be fitted?

Contrary to popular belief, if you're replacing just two tyres on your vehicle, you should fit them to the rear axle - not the front. This advice comes from the British Rubber Manufacturers' Association (BRMA). It applies to front and rear-wheel drive cars, and four wheel drive vehicles.

So, why replace rear axle tyres? There is evidence that, particularly in the wet, partly worn tyres on the rear axle are more likely to cause oversteer, loss of control, and difficulty braking in a straight line. Also, worn rear tyres are arguably more prone to punctures, and rear-tyre deflations are more likely to cause loss of control.

If you own a low annual mileage front-wheel drive car, it's a good idea to switch partly worn rear tyres to the front and fit new tyres to the rear. Leaving the rear tyres in their original position could mean you have to replace them before they are significantly worn due to age deterioration.

Please note the following instances when it may not be best to fit just two new tyres to the rear:
    • The front and rear tyre sizes are different
    • Two new tyres are of a lower speed rating
    • On a performance rear wheel drive car the characteristic rear concave wear pattern means moving rear tyres to the front will affect the car's stability
    • The 'system' concept of directional front and asymmetric rear tyres is applicable
    • With certain combinations of winter and summer tyres
    • In certain four-wheel drive vehicles where fitting new tyres to the rear would cause significant decreases in tread depth
    If you are in any doubt about fitting new tyres to your vehicle, please contact your relevant tyre manufacturer.
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i never knew that,

i replaced my 2 front tyres a couple of weeks ago and they left them on the front, but tbh the rears are still the originals and are perfect dont seem worn at all, but the old fronts were compleltly bald (also the originals) so now its like 4 brand new tyres,
    but guess when i can b bothered i shold swap them all over anyway, just worrired they'd need balancing then
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I always recommend people to put new ones on the back at work. If your best tyres are at the back then your back end will keep in line and not step out, also under heavy braking, less chance of the car snaking.

Two things to remember though; just cos your tyres are newer, dont mean necessarily they're better, or more grippy than the ones not being replaced.
    Also, keep front axle tyres the same, and rear axle tyres the same, not left and right.

I got dunlops on front, and firestones on rear, the dunlops out grip the firestones by a mile! So makes for some interesting roundabouts. If I followed my own advice, I'd swap front to rear.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got cheapo tires on my belmont and the fronts are the newest, and the front slides out before the rear, takes a bit to make the back end step out tbh...not enough power from the 1.3S to go fast enough LOL.

Can see the point in doing so with the tires.....but mine failed the MOT 2 years ago because of the tires.....and they didn't change the wheels around....saying that, i would make the rear alloys a mess then with curbing on the odd occasion.
    When it comes around to newer tires.....or even a newer car that requires new tires....going for a full set of Toyo's.

Status
    ex 'titanturbo'
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers guys.i don,t like opening my mouth unless i,m 100% thanks .carl