Thread: Whats that noise.....2.2 Ecotec...help needed

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Whats that noise.....2.2 Ecotec...help needed

the astra has started to make a slight tapping noise when u start it up after from cold or being able to cool down etc (bout 2 hours) , only happens for like 2 seconds and then engine runs smooth as you like, no lights, smoke, misfire, bad idle....anything.

checked oil and its at 3/4 mark, so wouldnt think it was tappet, unless of course it was a sticking one?

bloke at VXL said about possible loose timing chain, which has made me a little bit scared, i dont drive it hard and i thought the chains were life of engine parts

any insight, people with same thing, help anything at all is much apprechitated.

Cheers

Ben
    MK4 SRI 2.2 16v - THE SHOPPING LIST! - 17in Coupe T Wheels, Remus Centre, Eibach Lowering Springs & 1 Lottery Jackpot

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Without any information of which part of the engine the noise is coming from, it's impossible to say - but if VXL diagnosed it as a loose chain, then I'd be inclined to go with that.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    try an oil change, this also used to happen on mine but after i changed the oil it was fine

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could be purge valve noise your hearing.

Hard to diagnose without hearing it, but if you look at your airbox, clipped to the back is the valve, unplug it and see if it still continues to make the noise.

If that cures it, hey presto, new one is about £10.
    If not then it could be chain or sticky lifter.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    Without any information of which part of the engine the noise is coming from, it's impossible to say - but if VXL diagnosed it as a loose chain, then I'd be inclined to go with that.
    Top right hand side of the engine bay i what it sounds like, isnt a rattling sorta noise like something is loose e.g timing chain, more of a ticking. just went and took off the valve Raz mentioned and it didnt seem to do it, car has been sat at work since 8.15 so was a 3 hour cool down and thats the normal time it does it, will try again later on and see if the valve means it doesnt do it again.

out of curiousity what does that valve do ?

Cheers

Ben
    MK4 SRI 2.2 16v - THE SHOPPING LIST! - 17in Coupe T Wheels, Remus Centre, Eibach Lowering Springs & 1 Lottery Jackpot

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SXiASTRA
    try an oil change, this also used to happen on mine but after i changed the oil it was fine
    Still gonna dabble at the oil change idea too, is the 2.2 easy to do it on, it might be a daft question but im not that mechanically minded

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like its the timing chain getting dry n loose, supposedly before 2002 they had design fault.

got on the blower this morning to vauxhall, they cant find any info on my car having the upgraded biits fitted depsite it being serviced at the garage twice, bloke in service department was incredibly helpful and ranng me back within 10 minutes with info and a booking time for this monday and has informed me they are going to look for the remedy on the system . and i have been informed it will be fixed at no extra cost.

hopefully thats the case when they get it on the ramps monday. so far though, vxl customer service and helpfullness 10/10

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Reeeeeee-zult

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    Reeeeeee-zult
    hopefully so buddy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When the engine is hot the oil is thin, therefore flows down to the bottom quite quickly.... so when you start it, it takes a second or two before the oil gets to the tappets Usually caused by old oil, change it and see how you go

Aaron
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra SRi 2.2L
    For all your Car Audio Questions
    http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/nutter.jpg
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*