Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Clutch?

Hey peeps,

Had the car 2 months now ( april ) and there is a smell coming from the car when I floor it.

Sometimes it's hard to get into first, not sure whether its the gear box or clutch.

Does anyone know of a company that's cheap on the clutches for astra's as the cheapest I have been quoted is £208 fitted etc, and most expensive is £500 from vauxhall.

Gav

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It would help if we knew where you where based, but due to the work involved I'd be happy to pay £208

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry i'm not too far from you! I'm in Newcastle. Mr Clutch says £208, with warranties etc, I called Vauxhall, and they said it's 70'odd for the clutch, 100 for some sleve I think he said, and the rest in labour. ( Thieving barstuards.. Deliberate spelling mistake btw ).

Basically, the smell is only present when I hoof the car. Which is lucky to get to 90 before gracefully vibrating, and slowing down.

My mate, has the same model car, exactly the same apart from he has Central Locking, and alloys where as I have the steering control's for the radio. And he totally burnt me off. I don't believe he can burn me off using the same car. I couldn't even catch up with him.

I'm also having the Kangaroo issue mentioned in the forum, which hopefully cleaning the ERG valve ( thinks thats is ) will solve it. Although I doubt it.

Cars going in for a service next month, hopefully.

Possibly having a full GOLD PLUS service from mr clutch, cheapest one going will solve a few issues with the car.

Gav

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd ask mr clutch how much it'd be just to fit the clutch if you supply the parts, and then get a geuine 3pt clutch from LMF or Autovaux - that way you'll get decent bits fitted and not some cheapo pattern parts.

Ask for the old bits back as well as they are usually exchange parts.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not heard good reports on Mr Clutch, seem to recall a few members complaining bitterly last year about poor work, bad fitting and shoddy parts. Make sure you check them out before parting with your hard earned.

Shame the MK4 isn't like the MK2 clutch to change, easiest clutch I've ever changed, 30 min job
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what pisses me off is how a clutch for a proton persona is Hydraulic, which is the same as the astra ( within reason ). Although price difference shoots up almost 400%

Mr Clutch do a free clutch check, if they can tell me whats wrong, then I could possibly get it under warranty. Otherwise i'm shelling out £208.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a quick one. Exactly how hard is it to stick a clutch in? I know a few mechanics around that could possibly do it? Also, theres a garage where I got my Clutch done of the proton, and they only charged me £80. Which means the clutch mustn't of cost that much.

Gav

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The clutch on a MK4 is as you say the same (virtuall) as any other car, but it's how much stuff you have to do to get at it in the first place that really determines the price - ergo labour. With the MK4 it's either an engine and gearbox out job or leaving it in situ and removing whole front subframbe to get at the gearbox before you can split it. That's why the price is so high.

As Oddjob says the MK2 was a 30min job, whereas the MK4 is nearer 30hours (not quite, lol)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmmm... thing is the car is only 6 weeks old, and was meant to of been through a rigerous 125 point check.

Do you think I should badger the company I got it from saying I wont pay? Or is it worth just paying for it.

Gav

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gRoberts
    Do you think I should badger the company I got it from saying I wont pay? Or is it worth just paying for it.
    Yes I do, but it may have been OK at the time of inspection. But none the less it's worth a try. especially if they will sort it out freebie or even pay a share towards it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast