Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Hand brake squeaking ?

Hello ,

I have quite a puzzler here . I hear a loop squeaking noise coming from the back wheels . I took the calipers and the brake pads off today to look for any signs and clues .

However I couldn't find anything at all .

One of my friends told me that it may be the hand brake if I have a hand brake with shoes (inside of the brake disc ) .

My car is 2.2l bertone from 2001 .

Other things I've noticed are :

- the squeak appears when I have aprox. 45 km/h or lower .
    - the squeak stops if I easily pull the handbrake while driving .
    - the squeak sometimes disappear but surely appears if on bumpy road.

Any suggestions would be appreciated .

THANKS !

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Theres no shoes inside your rear brakes. That you can be sure of, the handbrake is operated of a cable to the calipers, all rear stopping and parking done by the pads.

It sounds like you have a sticky rear caliper.

Best bet is to strip it all down, and lubricate.

Try and see if its cured, if not, it could require a caliper.

If your local to me and dont fancy doing it, gimme a shout.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bosch or Lucas calipers? Bosch were know to have a sticking problem, Lucas also do it but to a lesser extent. There's a mod done by VX to stop it but don't know whether it's the problem you refer to, mainly seems to be sticking on when parked that the mod cured.

I may have a set of Lucas calipers for sale in a while as I'm in the process of replacing mine, nothing wrong with them and they have been modded and don't stick. However I've bought another set off E-Bay which I intend to paint and replace instead of trying to do it all in one day like the fronts.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The calipers are original and haven't been changed . Only the pad were changed and they are Lucas .

I really don't know what to say about this since the previous (GM) pads didn't have this problem and the new pads were used for more than 1000 Km already.

At first the squeak was faint and only when cornering on bumpy roads but now it squeaks when running in a straight line .

I'll do more research tomorrow .

Thanks for the help so far !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In that case I'd really recommend you check out the handbrake cable, these have been known to stick in certain areas resulting in the pad being very gently in contact with the disc. Get a mate to pull the handbrake and see if it is binding, if it is then try and lubricate the pivot points and see if that helps.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.