Thread: engine whine

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

engine whine

hello boys n girls. when io rev my engine i am getting a distinctive whiney sound that goes to quite a high pitch. its similar to the noise my air con is making( which i am ignoring). does anyone have any ideas? ta peeps..

1998 astra 1.6 16v

Rosco83
    Hi mate.... i can have a good guess.... i have a 98 Astra 1.6 8 valve and have just had to change the alternator due to it whining, (its best to stop these drying out- wd40 or similar) the aicon pumps can make a noise too becuase they are on the same belt, what you could do it take off the auxiliary belt/fan belt, start the car and see if the noise stops. I did this and sure enough.... it was my alternator. If you need a new one make sure you get a one with the same ampage or better. See if that works

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you have to get a new alternator or can you just lube it with WD40 etc?? ( ive the same problem )
    Drives - Phase 2 Astra Mk3 Gsi = 139.56 BHP with 138.81 Torque

Rosco83
    well mate.. what i would do first is.. get some WD40... use the wee straw if you can, and spray all the insides of the alterator with it, you can see the copper and stuff through the vents.. does it look dry or corroded? You can even take off the belt and spin the alternator round with your hand, that way you can hear anything nasty and also feel anything bad through your finger tips. I did all this and unfortunately i needed a new one... works better than it ever did. Give it a try.... but i now know its better to give it a quick spray once a month or so... helps protect it too of course.

Cant be much more help than this though guys

Rosco83
    i may add that vauxhall quoted me £153 plus vat for a new 100 amp alternator, so i got one from a 6 month old crashed car for £70... but i had to travel for it lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i know theres one on my old astra in the scrappy still which is fine so i can go get that cost me £20 last time ill try it later cheers mate!
    Drives - Phase 2 Astra Mk3 Gsi = 139.56 BHP with 138.81 Torque

Rosco83
    no problem... theres alot of breakers round my way but i needed a 100 amp one at least and that was proving hard to get in scrappies... most are 70amp, police car astra's were fitted with 120amp tho so thats worth keepin your eye out for!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok ta . that helps loads. I like having something to tell my lazy arsed mechanic but this sounds like it may be within my low level of expertise. to the haynes manual i will go and look at sorting out the altern8r. thanks again.

Rosco83
    No probs, hope you can get it sorted.... but may i add: My alternator was whining for a few days but was still working.... it then just decided to pack up completely so you may need another one... good luck.