Thread: Potential New car...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Potential New car...

Going to see a Nova at the weekend been wanting a cheap project car to learn on and to keep myself busy with for AGES but never really bothered about going to see any but i have been offered one.....

What should i Look out for when looking over the Car?? Interior and body panels arent important but how do i check the Chassis is in good condition?? Any other Structural points that are prone to rusting or weakining?? The car has been fitted with a 1.8 engine so kinda thinking chassis might be stressed in some way aswell?

Overall Structural Strength of the car is all i'm bothered about as Engine, Interior And suspension is all gettin replaced (Mates minter was written off after someone took a sledge hammer to the roof I'm buying that off him for parts)

Any Tips would be great dont wanna do this work and have the car split in two first time i take it out

Also I dont want to hear the Small car crap (COO ) as I've said this is just a toy to work on I'll buy a better Car when i start working again, At the Moment I'm Bored and itching for things to do.. Working on and rebuilding cars is Just a Hobby
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rust wise they are a bitch, but can be great fun if its a minter!

Major problems:

Rust along the chassis legs can be hidden by the dodgy underseal, especially around the rear and left hand engine mounts and up to the rear towing eye.
    Major tendencies to go and are structural are the suspension turret seams on both sides at the front, holes through the bulk head from the battery tray and rear shock absorber mountings
    Hidden area that always goes is the boot floor, directly below the rear lights on both sides, make sure you lift the carpet up!!
    More obvious areas are rear arches,doors, and the bottom of the tailgate, which go all the time and are a pain in the arse unless the car has been restored or undersealed properly (which vauxhall obviously forgot to!)

You will be hard pressed to find one without some of these rust areas for sub 1500, if its had an 1800 installed, seam welding and ate caliper brakes are a must!

I have had two, one was really mint, but no doubts, they are a hard car to keep mint unless ure a cleanijg fanatic or find a true, undersealed minter!

My old one:

good luck!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the Advice Chris

Been told that the car has been stripped out and everything so there should be no carpets to lift It's deffinately not going to be a Minter in the price range i'm looking at, dont mind about the bodywork at all I'm not scared of a Bit of hard work to get it looking like your car pictured above!

I'm not bothered about..

Body panles (wings doors boot)
    Engine & Gearbox
    Interior
    Suspension
    Wheels

the only thing i'm Worried about is buying one thats going to split in half !!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, well just the chassis and bulk head issues to keep checkep up on i guess! Hope it works out for you!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16v
    Ok, well just the chassis and bulk head issues to keep checkep up on i guess! Hope it works out for you!
    thanks mate, The Info is Much Appreciated I hope it works out too and hopefully have the car at Trax 2005 (all though not show ready just track ready)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Skipz,

I spied soem really nice Cavalier Cesaro 6 spoke alloys in a set of 5 with very good tyres in a local scrappie if your interested. These wheel look superb on nova's and are second only to Speedlines....

Same as these mate... Give me a shout if you want them as I can see if I can stike a deal with the guy.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why not get a job ?? or am i missing something here ???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNikon
    Why not get a job ?? or am i missing something here ???
    Your missing something... Details....

Been at two interviews this week waiting on word back also got an interview tomorrow monday and thursday... I'm hoping to get one of these Jobs.. I'm Bored 100% of the time! Sitting about the House isnt for me, If i get one of these jobs i'll be working on the Car at nights and Weekends instead of going out and gettin hammered at weekends like i am now!!!!!

Also it gives me something to do while i'm not working!

Mark thanks for the offer mate but I've got my Eye on Speedline Allesio 2's again! mates got my Old set doing nothing so might buy them back! Will let you know if i hear something

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16v
    My old one:

Oh sweet mother of god! Where can i find more pics of this then Chris? It's bloody lovely!

Steve
    Nova Merit: 2000-2003 // Irmschered Astra SRi: 2003-2005 // Leon Cupra R: 2005 - 2006 // Linea Rossa Convertible Turbo: 2006-2008 // BMW 840Ci: 2008 - 2012

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjflat
    Oh sweet mother of god! Where can i find more pics of this then Chris? It's bloody lovely!

Steve
    Agreed, One of the Nicest nova's I've seen in a long time...

Got these pics Given to me...

All Minters....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast