Thread: Optimax...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Optimax...

I put in Optimax the other week and it is good stuff. Cars pulls better and feels better in general.. But since I have put it in when I turn the ignition on but don’t start it, I get a weird noise for a few seconds like the fuel pump priming and the petrol whishing around - louder than normal.

Does this sound bad? Or is it just a ‘side effect’ of the higher octane fuel? Hope it’s not a trip to the dealers

Thanks for any advice

Silver Astra Coupe 2.2

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I get the same thing on my GSI Turbo mate - nothing to worry about. Infact if anything I always give it a few seconds before I start the igntion after turning the key.

As far as the optimax petrol goes it is good stuff. If you can get it in your area you should try Tesco's 99ron stuff which is very slightly higher grade and according to the Scooby guys works better in the engine - plus it's cheaper as well !!!
    JDM WRX STi7 Subaru Impreza
    300bhp

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok cool, cheers. I was just worried, as the last time I had a petrol car and used Optimax it was an ST170 and that didn’t make a sound so got worried.

I will try Tesco, 99 RON sounds good to me!

Silver Astra Coupe 2.2

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I swore by Optimax for ages, I find the car just runs that little bit sweeter, pulls that little bit harder, and goes that little bit further on a tank.

Then I tried Tesco 99RON! Even better stuff.
    My boss is running it in his 2.5 380BHP Scoob, he's got a knocklink and says his car runs better on the Tesco stuff than Optimax - and it was mapped on Optimax!
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thing is I was always scared to use supermarket stuff, but I am guessing that the 99 RON is an exception to the rule!

Need to run my tank out quickly now

Silver Astra Coupe 2.2

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Using the 99RON or the Optimax, does this use up more fuel than usual??? Need to clarify this please.... Ta

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't take this as a slight on Tesco fuels, but I think I should point this out for fact. Most petrols are increased in octane by the addition of tuolene. In fact, this is the basis of most 'octane boosters' in addition to upper cylinder lubricants.

When it comes to Shell Optimax, they add patented fuel modifiers to clean the induction system (valves, injectors) and also enhance combustion to clean piston crowns and exhaust valves. If you look at the patents for Optimax you will see this is clever, 'protected' technology.

The point I am trying to make is that Octane is not everything, YES it makes BHP, but it will not always promote long term life of the car. If you run on Cool Blue everyday it will destroy your engine (106 octane, no lube or anti-knock), if you run on Optimax with Lucas Octane Booster it will still protect the engine (106 octane but Optimax), but you may melt the catalyst!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tzac: I find I use less fuel than the cheaper lower RON stuff. Therefore, more MPG.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will be going back to Optimax now the price has come down from the dizzy heights of 91.9p! it's great stuff!