Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alloy Wheel Removal!!!

HELP PLEASE!!

I know this is goona sound like a really dunb question, but how the feck do the front alloys wheels come off! Ive removed all 5 bolts, and the centre cap of the alloy. And they aint budgin. The cap bit under the centre cap of the alloy, does this come off therefore releasing the wehell to slide off. If so is there supposed to be a tool to do this??

Im just a bit bewildered, i would have assumed that they would have been like any other normal rim, i.e. remove the bolts and slide off. But im not up to speed with alloys that much, its the first motor i have had with them.

1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its corroded on id expect, give it a kick from the inside.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hit the wheel with a rubber hammer that should loosen it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have kicked the wheels from the inside quite hard, and it really is on there tight. It hasnt budged and inch. There is what looks like a washer or something behind the cap within the centre of the alloy, beneath where the wheel cap was and this has corroded.
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Raise the car off the ground,full lock and place a piece of wood against the inside of the rim and wedge against a strong piece of the inner arch. CAREFULLY turn the whell against the wood and hopefully it should pop off. Best if you get someone to help you , one to turn the steering wheel and one to watch for any potential damage and good communication never goes a miss. Good luck and be careful.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    jack the car up and put on an axel stand, and hit the wheel with a hefty rubber mallet in the 3 o'clock and the 9 o'clock positions alternately - eventually it'll work loose. Then whem there is some slight movement grab the whell in the smae positions as above and forceably waggle loose. It tkaes a bit of time but it will come off.

Before fitting give all seating areas a smear of grease, especially the hub spigott.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers guys, will give it em a go.

heres some pics..should the thing behind that cap be corroded like that? will it need replacing if i get the damn wheel off?

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The corroded bit is the end face of the wheel hub - its machined steel so it will corrode.

When you eventually get the rims off give it a quick titlt up with some emery cloth (or similar) before you grease and refit the rims.

Best of luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    copper grease the bits of the alloy that mount onto the disc

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well has been good today, after a good beating with a rubber mallet as Geoff suggested and then a good wobbling of the wheel, the drivers side popped off nicely!! But the passenger side was more of a bastad!! Gave it the mallet and good pull for god knows how long with no movement whatsoever. So turned it full lock, got underneath and gave it a good kickin and it jumped off!!

So now i have managed to give the calipers 2 good coats of silver hammerite, and i am really pleased with em, they look great. I got some copper grease this morning, gonna give the mount a good coating tomorrow as to with some grease.

Do ya think it would be a good idea to take the rims off like every few months or someting and regrease?? Because i dont wanna go through all this crap again, its become aa rite pain in the ass! I dont wanna get down the line in 6months or so, get a puncture and be buggered cos i cant get the wheel of again, and i dont wanna be kicking the wheels off when the car is only up on a jack!

I will post some more pics up tomoro with the finished result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast