Thread: Wheel refurb

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wheel refurb

Does anyone know a good place to get wheels refurbed in S/W London? Only standard Sxi Vauxhall ones.

Got nasty scratches from kerbs that don'y clean out so guess it's time to get them done.

Also, I'm prob being thick but here goes.........

I want both fronts doing........would they lend me 2 alloys as replacements so I can still drive car?
    Midnight Black 1.6 16v SXi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...976207426&rd=1

Is this worth it? Could have extra one as a spare and a spare-spare??
    Midnight Black 1.6 16v SXi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Masonga
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...976207426&rd=1

Is this worth it? Could have extra one as a spare and a spare-spare??
    they look as if they might get a but expensive to me,
    try emailing these people, u never know http://www.vauxhallspares.co.uk/alloy_wheels.html
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why dont you do them yourself. I have an old Cavalier as a daily runner. Did mine with a aerosol

This gives you an idea of process and also the quality of finish you can get from even a rattle can.

This is what they used to look like. No shine, curbed, scratched, faided. A mess....

...after rubbing down and filling, I primed them with a few coats of primer and built up a nice layer of it, before flatting that down to make it ultra smooth.

This is the end result. I had flatted down the laquer with wet 1200 grit before cutting back with G3 and then a good hard polish with Autoglym resin.

The above had a nasty laquer run, so I stripped it it back and did it again. It was the first wheel, so was kinda of a test run.

Here it is after I re-did it....looks a little better.

Since they all looked shiny and new, I decided to fit a new set of centre cap bolts. The old ones being all manky and 1 was missing, previous owner used a giant screw instead!!

Anyway, looks a bit cleaner with these in.....

This is the list for my wheels....Just a light repair and respray with aerosol paint.

* Remove tyres from rim, cut of old valve and remove any Ďstick-oní or Ďtap-oní wheel weights.

* Clean wheels thoroughly. I used Mr Muscle Oven cleaner because itís cheap. Then wash with really hot soapy water, then water off. Before giving them a quick clean with a j-cloth and some clean water.

* Attack rim lips with 300grit, rub away any corrosions and feather out using a lighter grade paper.

* Finish off with 1000 grit.

* Clean again with clear non soapy water and leave to dry.

* A 'must' is to get at them with degreaser wipes. This will remove any traces of silicone/oily residue.

* Spray wheel with 3 or 4 coats of primer. Leave sufficient drying time between coats and leave to dry.

* Get at the dry wheel with 1000 grit, best done wet. Feather it back to leave a smooth surface. Clean and re-apply primer if necessary. Then rub back with 1000 grit.

*Once wheels are again clean, then you can apply first coat of base coat silver. Spray evenly as metallic particles weigh paint down, so if you spray it too heavily, it can give the appearance of looking darker in patches.

* Give around 3 or 4 good coats, making sure all angles are catered for.

* Leave to dry for about 30 minutes before going again with lacquer. Again, even strokes. Doesnít matter if itís fine and doesnít give a shiny finish as you achieve finish when cutting back.

* Give it plenty of light coats again with good drying intervals.

* Leave for about 12 - 24 hours to semi cure before prepping for finishing.

* Get 1000 or even 1200grit (again, best done wet). Rub lightly and evenly over the new paintwork in a swirly motion. Donít press too hard, but then again, donít press too lightly.

* After doing the whole wheel, youíre now ready to cut it back using a cutting paste. I used G3 and applied in a similar action to the sanding. Be a bit more firm with the pressure and you can feel the paste working away to smooth off the lacquer even more.

* Wipe off with clean dry cloth. The paintwork although very flat and mat in appearance is now smooth and flatted back.

* You can now start with the polish. I just used Autoglym super resin polish. I polished each wheel twice. Both in quite an abrasive action. But not too much. Buff up and it should leave the paintwork with a glassy finish. If it still looks a little dull, then keep polishing and you'll get a great shine.

* Leave the wheel for at least 24 hours (from final coat) before having the tyre refitted.

End line, if you take your time and use the correct tools for the job, you can get a nice finish. It's good fun and very rewarding.

CRAP SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    really liked the UV corsa and I think its a shame it never got finished, and is not just rusting away

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there u go,

pay simon to do it
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    SEE THIS ON DIFFERENT POST
    4 stud 16" Sxi Alloys for sale, 2 with good tyres, 2 with only 2-3mm tread above tread guide left.
    2 wheels with slight damage,

Looking for £180,
    Arranged pickup only, live in the Merseyside area, will meet within an acceptable distance.
    Cheers
    BARGAIN YOU COULD ARRANGE CARRIER LIKE PARCELFORCE TO PICK UP.. MIGHT EVEN BE WORTH A DRIVE NICE WEEKEND AWAY.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    R.I.P - 08.05.06 CLICK My Astra
    BMW M3 Evo

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    SimonP thats a good job on your alloys there, might give that a go myself if and when I take the rims off the car for a while

Best place I know for alloy refurbmishment is spit and polish, they will be gone for a few days though
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks
    SimonP thats a good job on your alloys there, might give that a go myself if and when I take the rims off the car for a while

Cheers.....did some more rattle can work with the Cavalier

Now, the car overall is quite tidy, but the mirror housings were faided scratched, chipped, paint was cracked. Looked terrible.

Anyway, after loads of time prepping, spraying and paint finishing off. I got it to this standard......

Quite happy with this one. Both mirror housing now done. Not bad for a rattle can. No comments on the leg, had them all when I put this pic up on MIG.

CRAP SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    really liked the UV corsa and I think its a shame it never got finished, and is not just rusting away

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Top job Si

I paid £45 a wheel (with the tyres on) for a change of colour, they were powder coated tho.
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!