Thread: Really bad knocking/banging noise

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Really bad knocking/banging noise

My car started doing this last night, it started off as if there was a stone in the tyre, it got slightly worse on the drive home so I checked for stones nails etc, I checked the tyre pressure as well, all was fine...

Later I drove to get a pizza, the knocking got louder and was now quite bad, the noise could be felt through the steering wheel and pedals

It did it when going straight and turning right, and went away when turning left or accelerating

This morning I was driving to work and the noise was terrible! it felt and sounded like the wheels were going to fall off!

I've had a brief check of the obvious symptoms - stones and sticks in the wheels/brakes etc

I'm not a happy bunny, I've had nothing but trouble with this car and I've only had it a week!

What do you think it may be? drive shaft? CV joint?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you've only had it a week, get straight back to the garage you bought it from.

Are you in the AA/RAC/GreenFlag/other ? .... or any of your family members ?
    If yes, then get them called out for a professional opinion.
    could be dangerous to drive.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M40COO
    If you've only had it a week, get straight back to the garage you bought it from.

Are you in the AA/RAC/GreenFlag/other ? .... or any of your family members ?
    If yes, then get them called out for a professional opinion.
    could be dangerous to drive.
    I bought it privatly mate, sold as seen!

I'll strip down the front end this evening and have a look, i'm pretty sure it sounds like a cv joint - nackered bearings but it seems strange that its come on so sudden...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox
    I bought it privatly mate, sold as seen!

I'll strip down the front end this evening and have a look, i'm pretty sure it sounds like a cv joint - nackered bearings but it seems strange that its come on so sudden...

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious - but have you carefully checked the wheel bolts????
    To feel it through the pedal's/steering is a SERIOUSLY bad problem and i wouldn't even tempt fate by driving it..... Check suspension bolts (upper and lower) and engine mounts and bolts... Obviously after checking wheel bolts...... sounds like it's only got 3 bolts and they are all loose!
    Aaron
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra SRi 2.2L
    For all your Car Audio Questions
    http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/nutter.jpg
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have heard a story like that before and it was cos some1 had tryed to nick the wheels

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a quick finger tight check, and tried rocking the car and wheel and all seemed well, i have 2 locking nuts on each wheel aswell, i hope they are just loose! I had the wheels off on saturday but tightened them back up fully with my windy gun...

Also, surely that wouldnt stop when i put my foot down?

I'll have a check tonight when i get back from work, i think it may be the driveshaft bearings on the joint to the back of the hub

Fingers crossed for just the bolts though, my face will be red tomorrow if it is!

Cheers chaps, i'll keep you informed!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a quick finger tight check, and tried rocking the car and wheel and all seemed well, i have 2 locking nuts on each wheel aswell, i hope they are just loose! I had the wheels off on saturday but tightened them back up fully with my windy gun...

I'll have a check tonight when i get back from work, i think it may be the driveshaft bearings on the joint to the back of the hub

Fingers crossed for just the bolts though, my face will be red tomorrow if it is!

Cheers chaps, i'll keep you informed!
    If they are tight, next thing would be the hub bolts.... Make sure nothing is lose there.... If there's been work done, it would be possible...
    most worrying is how bad it's gotten and how fast!!!
    Aaron

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubugger
    If they are tight, next thing would be the hub bolts.... Make sure nothing is lose there.... If there's been work done, it would be possible...
    most worrying is how bad it's gotten and how fast!!!
    Aaron
    Are the hub bolts just normal big fat nuts in the middle of the hub?

The fact that its got so bad so quickly - in the space of 15-20miles is very worrying! I thought the wheels were going to fall off this morning!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are the hub bolts just normal big fat nuts in the middle of the hub?

The fact that its got so bad so quickly - in the space of 15-20miles is very worrying! I thought the wheels were going to fall off this morning!
    The hub bolts are usually being the disc - either on the "outside" or the "engine side" These are usually bolted near the bottom of the strut, should be pretty obvious....... Only other thing i can think of is the bolt in the centre of the hub - but i honestly can't remember if this is on an astra or not - only remember my older cars....
    That said, jack up the front - one wheel should wobble - even a small wobble is a "lot"..... just be careful if it's on a jack about shaking it, not the smartest idea

Aaron

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think its one off the engine mounts!!! let me know if im right