Thread: Suspension dilema

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Suspension dilema

I've been offered some eibach 30mm springs but don't know whether to save up for 50mm springs and new shocks...considering that i am planning on buying some new alloys in the future what would you do???

...I'm either putting on some 5 spoke turbo 17s or TSW reflex 18s, depends on which ones i can get for a good price and i think insurance may be a little more leanient on vauxhall parts(turbo alloys)

which of those alloys would you have...and what drop would you have them with?

any pics to help my decision would be greatly appreciated...c'mon all u picture slags

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Out of those choices i would deffo go for the turbo alloys.
    Sticking on 18s is just gonna lose you performance and comfort especially if your dropping it 50mm.

17s is a perfect compromise between looks and performance imo but then again im biased. Heres mine with 35mm Vogtland springs and adjustable Koni dampers, judge for yourself if its low enough, although these have since bedded in a wee bit more.

http://www.jmcdaid.f2s.com/astra11.jpg

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if it helps ill be selling my gsi dampers in a week or two for them id go for 50mm
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If i decide to go 50mm instead of 35mm i'll keep that in mind...standard gsi dampers are good for a 50mm drop then??

I really like the turbo alloys...its just trying to find a set

I know in general with a 30-40mm drop and 17s or 18s the car will look good...but i don't know if a 50mm drop would look good with just the 17s...any more pics guys?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd get the 17" VX alloys and stick to a more modest drop of around 30-40mm, why? well after buckling a couple of 18" alloys you get a bit wary of them. Plus the refurbishers say they have never had a genuine VX alloys buckle yet unless severely impacted ie crash damage. However they've had loads of aftermarket alloys buckled with what the customers say was just normal driving around town. So the VX ones would give you piece of mind in that respect, they aren't as good looking as some of the aftermarket ones but some look ok. The VX ones would also be easier to sell as theres always a demand for them.

As for ride height, well mines dropped 35mm all round and the ride comfort dropped markedly, I'm always looking for speed bumps and high kerbs in case I rip the front bumper off and a 50mm drop would be far worse in this respect. At 35mm the comfort isn't bad, it's a bit like a skateboard but handles well. At 50mm you'd feel every bump in the road and the car sounds noisy, banging etc which the normal suspension would cover up. As a good compromise I'd consider the GSi dampers as they cope much better with lowering springs than the standard dampers and the set Norm would be selling I know personally haven't done a great deal of mileage, couple them with some 30mm Eibachs and you'd have a nice height and even more importantly some great handling.

The final decision must be yours however.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    As a good compromise I'd consider the GSi dampers as they cope much better with lowering springs than the standard dampers and the set Norm would be selling I know personally haven't done a great deal of mileage, couple them with some 30mm Eibachs and you'd have a nice height and even more importantly some great handling.

The final decision must be yours however.
    as above they were oddjobs to begin with. dont think he ever fitted them though! they did wonders to my handling etc.

at the moment im on 35mm eibachs and gsi dampers problem is ive only got a 1.6 8v so the engine isnt as heavy as yours so it didnt do much on the lowering side but the ride was amazing (compared to standard)

anyway ill soon be posting an ad for them in the fs section and will be taking to pvs

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are gsi dampers better than koni shocks or any other aftermarket companies?

...they'd go good with eibach 30mm, i know you said the 50mm springs would be a ruff ride...but would they be ok on the gsi dampers?

also...whats the difference between shocks and dampers?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_shabzzz

...they'd go good with eibach 30mm, i know you said the 50mm springs would be a ruff ride...but would they be ok on the gsi dampers?

wouldnt know the first or 2nd q, someone will though!

but the 3rd q, the shocks are for the front and the dampers are for the back ( or other way round)!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_shabzzz

I wouldn't say the GSi dampers are as good as say Konis but they are a good compromise, they should be able to handle -50mm as the internals are different but again it's down to what you want, looks or comfort. Personally I'm not keen on the wheel dissapearing into the arch too much but that's just my opinion and doesn't mean that the look doesn't work, it just doesn't do it for me. A set of Gsi dampers and some Eibachs would be around £150 cheaper than a set of Konis which wouldn't have Eibachs, difference in ride quality would be minimal IMO. However going down -50mm you'd be better off going with either a damper that's made specifically for that drop or a set of coilovers, which cost around £500.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    shabz your inbox is full so cant reply to your pm! andy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast