Thread: Sony headunit removal (mk3 golf VR6)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sony headunit removal (mk3 golf VR6)

A girl at work has just bought a mk3 golf VR6 and it has a tape player only. It`s a Sony with flip down front but have forgot the model number.

Just wondering if anyone knows what tool is required to remove the headunit as I`m going to replace it for a cd player later this week.

Also, if anyone has a cd player that they want to sell then please let me know.

Many thanks
    MK4 Golf 1.8T, Euro Style

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sony supply a special set of removal tools with their HU's mate - can't find a pic though.

Having said that, I've always managed to ease them out with a flat screwdriver each side - watch your dash though.

Shev (gsilady) has a Sony CD player (silver & MP3) for sale very shortly. There's also a connects2 mfd/steering wheel adapter with it for Vaux fitment (£60 usually) - we just need to check it works fine before selling it. Very, very slight scratch on the front facia. Will get her to pm you the details if youre interested.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im interesting in shev's lead for the stereo controls and her changer (if thats going!)

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Sony have 2 types of radio key and soem don't even need keys. Also if it was a VW sony one they are a nightmare to remove as they have little lugs that stup you getting to the release pins

Old sony keys that go in the top of the set, you will see the slots when the front is off

Newer keys that slot in like any kenweed/pioneer down the side

On others you just release the front surround, release the clips and it slides out
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I still cannot get this headunit out.

It`s a Sony XR-C650RDS Tape player.

If anyone can help I`d aprreciate it as this thing just don`t want to come out.

Many thanks.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    If it says VW on it the way we get them out is carfully get a scraper at the top between the radio and cage and try and hook it under the lugs that hold it in place while gently pulling with your fingers stuck in the tape hole

If it doesn't say VW on it make sure you reply to this before I go to bed tonight and i'll try to remember to take some sony radio removal keys to PV for you
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy.

I had a look through the Haines manual for the golf tonight (poped into halfrauds to take a look) and it said that the mk3 golf comes with a phillips tape player. The sony headunit she has at the moment doesn`t have VW anywhere on it.

The set of removal tools I have are the same as in the pic above, but I noticed a pair on ebay that are different.

If it was my car then I would have used some force to remove it and replaced anything I damaged, but need to go careful. I didn`t get chance to have another go today but will get some screwdrivers and try to gently ease it out. It doesn`t matter if I damage the front of the headunit as it`s pretty worthless.

Thanks again for all your advice.

See you at PVS.