Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brake help needed!!!!

Hi to all.

I fitted new front brake discs to my 2001 SRi 1.8 earlier today, as they were slightly warped. Didn't bother with new pads as they were fitted only 3 months ago and are hardly worn.

However, having put everything back together (double checked), I have no pedal. With engine off, I can pump the brake pedal and it goes hard, but when the engine is started, pedal goes to the floor. When pedal is released with engine running, it goes hard for the first press, then goes to the floor on the next press. I've tried exhausting the servo, then starting the engine with my foot on the brake pedal, the pedal stays hard but the engine almost stalls until the pedal is released, then engine idles normally.

No fluid lines were disturbed or disconnected, and the pistons were only pushed back very slightly to accommodate the extra thickness of the new discs. The brake fluid level in the resevoir is just above 'max'. There are no fluid leaks and all the servo hoses are still connected.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Regards

Gordon

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmmmm i would try bleeding the brakes just to be sure that there is no air in the system. also I think that if you press hard on the brakes for a long time when at a standstill (and engine running), the pedal will slowly go to the floor, i believe it is a feature to stop damage to the ABS system? <---can anyone confirm this?

pump the pedal a good few times then go for a slow drive up your road if you can, going no more than 10 -15 mph and just lightly apply the brakes every so often, you can always use the handbrake if the need is there, best to do this on a quiet road.

HTH!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    the pedal will be hard with the engine turned off the same as the power steering

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats what I thought.

Does it sound like a servo problem? Funny thing is, everything was working fine before I changed the discs, so I'm assuming that something has happened when I've pushed the pistons back slightly. Its the only thing I can think of.

Any ideas?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you say these were the front discs - What callipers does your Mk4 use, Bosch or Lucas?

I'll have a quick look for you later tonight in my Haynes (or someone else could do the same if they' have one to hand) when I get home but i'm pretty sure that it clearly states that potential brake servo damage can occur if you don't loosen the brake lines on the Lucas front callipers before pressing the pistons back in!

I could be totally wrong here but something has stuck in my mind about this and i'm pretty sure that's what it said.

Mick

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK, I forgot I had the Haynes in the car so I've just been for a quick look and i'm affraid to say I was correct!

There's a huge note in bold, boxed text in the sections relating to changing both front and rear pads that say's in some cases, damge to the master cyclinder seals has occured whilst pressing the calliper pistons back. The manual recomends the use of clamping the hose that you're servicing and opening the bleed point before pressing the piston back to avoid such damage occuring.

Sorry to be the potential bad news bearer

Mick

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mick

Cheers for the reply. That's exactly what I thought, so went out and had yet another good long look at the front setup, just in case I had missed something.

After much head scratching and swearing, I found that I had re-fitted the outer retaining spring clips slightly wrong, which was allowing both callipers to move about a lot, hence no pedal. Eventually fitted them correctly, and hey presto, pedal is restored. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I certainly didn't think that 2 small spring clips could cause this problem, but I guess that's why they're there in the first place.

Anyway, to all those who posted possible solutions, very big THANX.

Regards

Gordon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if i had any idea what i was talking about i would have put in my 2p's worth but i dont glad you got it sorted though and wasn't anything to serious

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice one Glogs!

At least it was only a minor school boy error rather than a major pooch screw and your wallet has been saved from a serious spanking Huraaaaa!

Mick