Thread: Steering Problems

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Steering Problems

Right, a few things have been niggling me for a couple of weeks, that didnt seem to be there when I first got the car in Jan.

I've got a Sport and recently put on the SRi 16" alloys which are an inch bigger than the standard ones. I thought this would give me more grip, but recently I've been noticing some drift in the rear when I sometimes go round corners. Also when going over bumps in the road or hitting pot holes the steering wheel jerks quite drastically, kinda following the wheel. I know these can be normal, but the force at which it does it seems excessive. Also, sometimes when pulling away, or even accelerating round a corner the car doesnt feel to be following the direction of the wheels.. ie gives the impression of sliding sideways, and generally doesnt fill me with confidence and feel like i'm in control.

Now, I just had the car lowered this week and they advised me to get the tracking checked a couple of days after once its settled as it might knock it out a bit. And it had.. all the problems above were magnified x10, but since i had the tracking done, its as it was.

Does this sound like a problem with the steering, or is it a case of a newbie power steering driver having to get used to it

Sorry for the essay, but its been buggin me. The vagueness of the wheel my old man said was like his power steering in the Omega, but he noticed the drift too which is strange. Much obliged people

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well this sounds a bit familiar. I lowered my Astra a week or so ago, before my steering was great but after it seemed to kind of drift across the road when cornering hard. Today I had a 4 wheel alignment check done. Although people say that camber can't be altered on the Astra G they are wrong, it can and when you remove the front struts you are taking a chance it won't go back in the same place. Mine was at -1.75 and it's supposed to be at -1.0, plus the tracking was out by a fair amount. The camber is altered when you remove the 2 bolts which hold the front strut onto the front hub, even though the bolt is the same size as the hole small amounts of play can occur, I'd suggest you have a 4 wheel alignment check done by a professional. I suspect that like mine the camber is out, maybe it was out before you changed the struts but it's almost certainly out now. Camber BTW is the angle the wheel sits at so it sits like \ or like / if you get what I mean so a bad camber setting will wreck your tyres over time.

Finding a place that's got the equipment isn't easy, I found mine by accident after going there for another part and mentioning the fact I couldn't find one. It's possible if the car was second hand that the front struts have either been replaced or removed for some reason, hence the camber moving. Even one from the factory isn't always spot on.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You will notice more bumps etc with it being lowered....just something to get used to.

Maybe the drifting you're feeling is you not being positive enough with your direction
    Are you tyre pressures okay ?... if over inflated it will definately bounce a bit more.

Just some ideas.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you fitted brand new tyres on the rear?

I recently fitted brand new Goodyear F1's in place of the worn Pirelli PZero Nero's and for the first 500 miles or so the rear definately did feel more 'alive' than before.
    Maybe new tyres need time to bed in?
    Vauxhall history - 13S | 14NV | C16XE | X20XEV

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I realise about the bumps and stuff as my last car was lowered, but this was happening before as well. Yeah, 1 new tyre on the rear so perhaps that could be the cause.

I'll certainly check out the camber, thanks... it does sometimes feel like the wheels are like / or \ when pulling away. Cheers fella.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M40COO

Maybe the drifting you're feeling is you not being positive enough with your direction
    Also, not sure what you mean by this. When I say drifting, I mean when going round a roundabout with reasonable speed, the rear drifts out and keeps going rather than turning. I had the same feeling (although magnified) when I had a puncture recently, but they're definatly ok. Will check the pressures and stuff tho