Thread: more misfiring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy more misfiring

Had a few jolts over the weekend and thought that due to mis firing i would just change the sparkplugs.

bought some NGK plugs and when i got them home to have a look they were covered in oil.

I have been told it could be the rocker cover gasket, but not sure.

So the problem is that there is oil in the cylinder around the plugs...any one help!?

thanks
    stuart
    Was a 1.8 now a Z20LET! Driveway built astra. OMEX 600. GT2871R. 421bhp 390ftlb

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had exactly the same problem, the spark plug wells were flooded with oil, the spark plug contacts are protected though with the rubber sleeves on the ignition module (X18XE1 in this case). Unfortunately once you take the module off the plugs get coated and you need to remove the oil, I used a small piece of tube attached to a plastic syringe (from chemist for giving babies medicine). Once you get the bulk of the oil out spray a bit of degreaser, clean it up properly and then proceed to change the sparks.

I replaced my rocker cover (aka camshaft cover) gasket but usually the bolts can work themselves loose, tighten them up to the correct torque (8Nm) and you should be ok. Its easy enough to replace the gasket though if you prefer.

A friend of mine advised that I just pull the spark plugs out and let the oil drain into the cylinders, wasn't too keen on coating my pistons/valves and Cat with excessive oil residues.

Phew, sorry for the long post