Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Add cornholio on Facebook

HU/Speaker problem

Right guys, I have a wee problem with my tunes. This is a long one too.

When I first had my aftermarket HU installed (into my Mk4) everything was fine, I could turn my tunes right up untill the speakers would distort (becuase they were the naff factory ones).

Then out of nowhere the sound began to pop and go really quiet. It faded in and out now and again. The way it went off was as if there was an electrical short somewhere as the HU display would flicker a bit when it happened. So asked for advice and people said it was the speakers.

So I put these in the front

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...nomy_id=25-131

And put these in the back doors (5dr

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...nomy_id=25-131

As adviced by a local Auto Electrician as I dont have the funds for Comps and Amps as yet. (the factory tweeters are still though)

So thought that would have sorted it. It didn't, they still go off, but only now and again. (on the way to work this morning all was fine????)

Next thing I did (shamefully) was pop into halfrauds on my way between jobs and asked one of the guys in there what he thought it could be. Managed to show him what happens and he reckoned it was the speakers on the left. As when it was faded from left to right, it only happened on the left hand side. As he said it was the speakers, I then told him that they are brand new, then he decided it was the speaker wire. But this was a total contradiction in my opinion, becuase if the right hand side speakers are fine with the standard wire, why should the left hand side be any different. So he was adamant it was the wire and let me know "we sell some good wire" so I came to the conclusion he wasn't very helpfull and only wanted to make a sale. Advice from my local Auto Leccy was that speaker wire makes no difference, I bought some thick wire once and got laughed at and told the wire purchased could power an electric drill and wasn't needed for the door speakers, he reckoned it just looks good and doesn't make any difference to sound quality and stuff like that.

The sounds are fine at half-way volume then occasionaly when turned up it does the above. After going to Halfrauds last night, I was at work and tried to show my mate what happens, but low and behold it didn't happen. I had it up to full volume and no pops/crackles/fading, nothing. Then later on when I went for a drive it started again. Managed to show my mate and he reckoned it seemed like an electrical thing. I'm going to take the HU out this afternoon or tomorrow when I'm off to check the connections in the back, just wondering if you guys know of anything else it could be???

Thanks for your help and sorry for the huge post.

This is my HU too

http://www.soundmasterscotland.com/s...e_i014182.aspx

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    certainly is a tricky one.....
    I think it sounds like an electrical thing too, it's one of these things where you need to start eliminating things to discover the problem.

Alot of HU have pre amps, obviously to power simply the speakers.
    I think - this may just be an assumption, it may be either the heat unit pre amp, or something as simple as the ground/earth wire, check the connections, if they all look intact and there is nothing obvious, check them with a volt meter.

To loose power but not completely would normally indicate a fluctuation in the input.
    Which would certainly change if the earth wire was loose or cut/ cicked etc.....

Like i say just a thought

good luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks Houstie, I'll check the wires/connections out. I was thinking along the lines of that as you have to change the earth/power wire when installing aftermarket HU's.

It was fine up until a few months ago, so maybe. . . . . .

Will check and post up what happens.

Cheers bud

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When you say you have to change the earth wire - what did you actually do?
    Tell me it may help?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are you speakers wired up straight through the ISO block, or have you cut them and taped/crimped/bullet connected them to the HU output.

Could be a short on the speaker wires.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like some very confused mixed up things flying around here!

"I was thinking along the lines of that as you have to change the earth/power wire when installing aftermarket HU's"

^what do you mean by that mate?

It might be something as silly as youre using naf cassette tapes or the head needs cleaning, tapes make funny-ass*d noises all the time! Get a cd player in there mate

oh and the wire you use does indeed make a difference to SQ and the general performance of an install.
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Not sure if the earth/power wire was the right thing to say?? The two wires I was on about are the ones that need to be changed over so the HU keeps it's memory. I checked and re-taped these up and they're fine.

The speakers are connected using the standard factory connectors + speaker adapter kit from Halfords (but the problem started to happen before I changed the speakers over)

On my way to work this afternoon, I had it nice and loud for about 20mins, then it faded out so it was really quiet, then did what I described above and somehow managed to blow the Driver's side - back door speaker???? (only this one?? the other 3 are fine)

I have a feeling it may be the head unit, it is 5/6 years old. So maybe it's the internals failing on it??

All I ever use is the CD changer. The tape player has forever been crap (tapes played really really quietly so dont bother using it)

It is hard to describe what exactly happens when you aren't able to hear it yourself.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if the earth/power wire was the right thing to say?? The two wires I was on about are the ones that need to be changed over so the HU keeps it's memory. I checked and re-taped these up and they're fine. - yeah this is your red and yellow wires, the yellow being memory and the red your permanent 12v input. You're correct i saying you swap the 2 to retain memory, alot of aftermarket h/u need this done.
    Well i would agree with you on the 'old h/u thing, if it is 5 or 6 years old, i'd get down and get myself a new one, The sound even on standard speakers is much better once you have an after market h/u in there.

I would have done that first, personnaly, before unrating your speakers or anything else. By changing the h/u you will at least elimate what could be the source of your problem. Try another cd player in there, a friends even, this will save you buying a new one, if this isn't the problem

Good luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks Houstie, I'll give that a go. I didn't bother getting a new one as my current HU has done me proud over the years but it seems like has now gone kaput.

New install all around I think.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    my HU is fours years old and is still going strong.

firstly i would get rid of the loom adaptors that you got from halfords

these are crap and they don't get a proper connection i fitted these when i first uprated my speakers to only then have to take the speakers out and cut the orginal loom plug and solder the wire direct to the speaker terminals as the adaptors keep lossing connection cause the speakers to cut in and out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast