Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A real ice system

Hi peeps,

Now I have an idea that i want some views on before i go all out and try it.

The wife will kill me for doing this if I go to do it.

Basically i'm an it tech by trade and hobby, and my father owns a computer business. I currently have a cube ( very small pc ), and I am looking to fit my car with one.

I'm looking at purchasing a 7" tft touchscreen to fit in, and run all my ice from the computer, but I need a way of getting the sound to the speakers.

I have the original cdr-500 untouched as of yet, and my other head unit the jvc kd-g701. Now as far as I know, my JVC has an aux out but not in. And i haven't looked at the cdr-500, does anyone know of a way to get sound into these?

As I wouldn't mind keeping the unit for standard radio, although I have a USB tv/radio hub that I can plug in and use the aerial on the car for. Which means total tft control.

Has anyone seen any previous attempts of this and was it successful.

I don't want some CHAV or as we call them Charver nicking me car with all that shit in, as my dad won't be able to get me the tft screen I would have to pay for that my self :S.

The screen is 12v powered as standard - computer will run off an invertor, no mouse or keyboard as it will all be on screen ( great mp3 and video finding ) Sound will hopefully be channeled into an existing head unit some how.

So if anyone has found a link to somewhere that has this done, let me know so I can start looking into costs for convertors etc.

Also let me know what you think on the idea and originallity?

Cheers

Gav

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For starters leothehamster on here would probably be your best bet on the in-car pc info front. Check out these links for some inspiration/information:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...ghlight=in-car
    http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...ghlight=in-car
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Might be an idea to get RCA outputs from the PC straight into an amp...that way you wont need the HU.

The amps should be able to filter the sounds.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you want to earn serious respect, ditch the headunit. Get the output for the PC into an EQ/X-Over like an Audio Control EQX. Use this to boost the signal voltage (to around 8v!) as it will be very small from the PC (0.25v?) and shape the sound with the EQ. The EQX has a 3 way active crossover which can split the sound to 3 or more amps. You can then power a sub amp from it and full range etc.

If you go straight from the PC to your amps, it will most likely sound cack and have loads of interference.

As a side note, it will never have as good sound as a decent HU. Get a top quality sound card, wires and CD/DVD drive in there.

If you want to have a HU, ditch the JVC and get an Alpine. Use the AiNet port as an input source. You will then have full control of the sound on the HU.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I was bought the JVC head unit when I got my first car, the proton.

Great head unit, looks nice. As an i.t tech, I understand the crap you will get from the live wires etc, which is why i'll install shielding. The sound card will actually be a 5.1 internal. With regards to ampage, im not looking at totally going whole hog and blasting it, this is purely for business/pleasure. So the head unit (cdr-500) provides enough output for what I am looking at?

I'm gonna use one of those RF Modulators, and tune the computer into the radio, so when i'm not using the computer, i can still use my normal stereo.

I can get a pre-amp built for the microphone and speakers ( reason for the whole computer thing is so I can have total control of the car without having to fuss about with adapters etc. )

I have a great piece of software that does everything for you, I also have some bluetooth phone software, that allows you to make and receive phone calls and text messages using your pc and bluetooth, which means I can rig the sound thru the car speakers and have a mic in the car somewhere.

Any more advice is willingly accepted.

Cheers

Gav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yup, i would have said there are 3 options:
    1. New headunit with AUX in, then run a cable with 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA connectors from PC to HU. (+You get a new HU. -You have to pay for a new HU)
    2. RF modulator. (+Cheaper. -Poorer quality)
    3. Run PC audio direct to seperate active x-over (or other audio processor) and then into the amps. (+Great Quaility, -Requires new amps and speakers expensive, -Cant use the std HU for anything u hav to use the PC for everything)
    I would suggest getting a new HU with AUX in and out. Then you can listen to CD/Radio via HU as usual, then flick to AUX in to get the PC audio when you want. Plus you get the option to expand the system in the future, adding more amps as and when.
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B.A.D.
    1. New headunit with AUX in, then run a cable with 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA connectors from PC to HU. (+You get a new HU. -You have to pay for a new HU)
    3. Run PC audio direct to seperate active x-over (or other audio processor) and then into the amps. (+Great Quaility, -Requires new amps and speakers expensive, -Cant use the std HU for anything u hav to use the PC for everything)
    I would suggest getting a new HU with AUX in and out. Then you can listen to CD/Radio via HU as usual, then flick to AUX in to get the PC audio when you want. Plus you get the option to expand the system in the future, adding more amps as and when.
    Yes, that would be the plan,
    I am going to replace my HU as soon as the bucks become available to stick in a small computer for me tunes, its a great idea, especially if ye have the likes of winamp goin, with the visualisations going to the music.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the active crossovers my plan for this new build im doing... but i've got 3 of them giving me 12 channels of active crossoverness.... but still need another 4 channels

Its a bad game when you get into pc's... you'll always be adding stuff.
    Skuzzle - Powered by Badgerbyte Web & IT Services

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B.A.D.
    Not quite just the 3 options. The best option bar none (option 4) for audiophile quality is to use a soundcard with a optical output. Feed this into a processor with optical inputs and then feed to the amps. This way you get no interference just the sound an nowt else.

As for using a seperate headunit it is not necessary at all if you use the above and a TV card (Preferably a digitial one) with RDS FM radio built in, add a dvd drive and a away you go. Additionally you can add functionality for controlling your phone, viewing your ECU, Sat nav and using your exsisiting steering wheel controls etc.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well to be honest I wouldn't mind having the easiest option, I'm going to have a look at my dads sony head unit, and if it has aux in, then ill swap my JVC for his sony and where laughing.

One of the lads at work can build me an amplifier, totally customized to what I need.

One issue I have now is trying to find out how to split the sound, as the kiddies will be watching dvd's in the back and we would watch tv or listen to music on the normal speakers.

Now I know you can split the screens which is what im gonna do for the back of the car, but sound im not sure about. Some programs allow you to use different sound cards.

Ill look into it.

Gav