Thread: endless list of problems with my car

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy endless list of problems with my car

im really starting to get sick and tired of the car, i've started to get so many problems with it.

where do i start

when i go to put the foglights on, the foglights come on but the symbol thats supposed to come up on screen doesnt appear (however, this is the least of my worries, i havent got a clue why i put it first!)

when the cars in first gear and im on say a hill pulling off, the car vibrates horribly (its not cause its stalling, honestly). it just vibrates really badly,

the car when driving is all over the road, as soon as it touches a slight bump on the road, the steering wheel will move from side to side. the steering wheel seems to have a life of its own, it just starts moving left or right by itself. i have to keep both hands firmly on it most of the time so it goes where i want it to. i've been told this could be because of a bent arm, is this what it sounds like to others? as ive had the tracking checked and its spot on.

when turning left, say into a sidestreet, i can often hear a horrible sort of grinding noise (pretty scary)

the brakes have gone squeaky as hell

when changing gears, when i take my foot off the clutch it makes this noise, like a psst sort of sound (sounds like somethings being stretched) really weird.

i dont even like driving the car anymore with all these problems. and its a 03 reg astra sxi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    take it back to vxl mate hope they fix it for you

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would suspect that there is one or two problems causing all your mechanical woes. I would start by looking at the driveshafts, as these would have an integral role to play in pull-away, bumps and turning.

Squeeky brakes - there is a in-service recall modification for the rear discs (where fitted), and there are also a few tricks that can be done to the front pads to prevent squeel, or you have a stone trapped on the pad/disc - check for a scored disc.

The foglight - could be a loose connection behind the dash but unlikely as there would be more symptoms, or a blown bulb (cant recall if these ones are soldered on to the curcuit though - I think they are) - either £45 for a replacement instrument cluster or a bit of wallet robbing by vauxhall - pays your money and takes your choice.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The shuddering pull aways and the grinding sounds round corners sounds like a CV joint failing/failed, quite common (in particular with older cars) where the CV boot cracks and causes water and grit to engress into the joint.