Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Running rough???

Hiya,
    was driving along earlier and my G suddenly began juddering and feeling like there was some major restriction whilst trying to accelerate. Next on popped the engine management light. So I pulled over and turned it off and back on.

Engine management light went off and has so far stayed off but the juddering and lack of power still remains. I got it home and I've changed the fuel filter, dropped the oil and put new spark plugs in but the problem is still on going. I'm guessing its a misfire as it sounds like a Subaru now but performs like a Robin Reliant with a flat tyre.

Only thing I have left to replace is the ignition pack, as it's a 1.6 16v, but before I spend the cash on that I'm going to get it looked over by a pro.

Just wondering if anyone else has any ideas about this as I'm fretting that it could be valve or maybe even bottom end related .

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Sy

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ignition pack is the next port of call.

It hasnt gone in to a limp-home mode maybe? - that might need some diagnostics to determine.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Apart from the juddering, popping, banging and loss of power the car seems fine lol.

I'll sort a new ignition pack out tomorrow and hope that sorts it all out before the money I have saved for my new bodywork is all spent.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had this on my old 1.6 oce turned out to be a loose injector
    Balck Astra K Elite 1.4 Turbo

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sy mine used to do this on a regular basis as well, I never got to the bottom of it though even vaux struggled to help. Mine was a 1.816v though, keep us informed as this has poped up a couple of times now.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

If You Have A Spark Plug Quilt It Is That!!

I Know Mine Has Just Gone And Ive Had It Show Up On The Engine Diagnostic System
    Plus It Sounded Like A Scooby Etc Too When It Was Going Wrong

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i ahd something similar - my engine management light came on randomly and wouldnt go off - pulled over and turned the engine off for a few minutes seemed ok so carryed on
    Drives - Phase 2 Astra Mk3 Gsi = 139.56 BHP with 138.81 Torque

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok try this...

when the engine is juddering and not running correctly open the bonet and unplug the air flow meter, it's connected to the air box.

Your management light may come on but see if it will idle better. I have the same thing you are describing with mine, i've had the lambard sensor changed ( 02 sensor) and it's better but juddering still. Sometimes it will pull through the rev range and others it feels like it's trying but not getting anywhere.

Try that and let me know how you get on.
    No more Astra..........Now another German!
    http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...20June%202005/

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZOR
    i had this on my old 1.6 oce turned out to be a loose injector
    I have considered an injection problem but it seems too constant. But I shall bear it in mind just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    Sy mine used to do this on a regular basis as well, I never got to the bottom of it though even vaux struggled to help. Mine was a 1.816v though, keep us informed as this has poped up a couple of times now.
    Well so far every mechanic I've spoken to has straight away blamed the ignition pack...so fingers crossed it's that and it won't require me to purchase a V6 engine to sort it

Quote Originally Posted by KNIFFA
    If You Have A Spark Plug Quilt It Is That!!
    I have no idea what a spark plug quilt is...or looks like. And in my tired state I've got random images of spark plugs tucked up in bed . Damn I need sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick SXI
    ok try this...

when the engine is juddering and not running correctly open the bonet and unplug the air flow meter, it's connected to the air box.

Your management light may come on but see if it will idle better. I have the same thing you are describing with mine, i've had the lambard sensor changed ( 02 sensor) and it's better but juddering still. Sometimes it will pull through the rev range and others it feels like it's trying but not getting anywhere.

Try that and let me know how you get on.
    Appeared to run even worse on idle with it unplugged so I'm guessing it's not that but ta for the suggestion.

Hopefully I'll have this sorted ASAP. I'll let y'all know how things go on.

Thanks

Sy

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok so an update.

My girlfriends uncle owns a garage and has been able to acquire me an ignition module to test on my car...low and behold she runs sweet again. So I have this one on loan until Sunday and all going well on Saturday I shall go purchase my own new one. So there you go all sorted.