Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Latest Z20LET Mod - Pipe Upgrade.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow My Latest Z20LET Mod - Pipe Upgrade.

This one may be of interest to quite a few people.

This photo shows a Z20LET Coupe engine bay with a standard full rubber boost pipe from the IC to the Plenum. This pipe is knows to expand under pressure and collapse under vacuum.

This photo shows the solid plastic pipe used in the same position on the Astra H fitted with a Z20 series engines. It comes with the rubber pipes at either end and includes the jubilee clips.

This photo shows the Astra H pipe fitted to my Astra Coupe. This was a direct replacement and took a mere 5 mins to fit.

This upgrade serves the same purpose as a "power pipe" does, but at a much cheaper price of £40. The pipe should give better throttle response and should also be stronger and more reliable.

For some reason this new pipe takes a higher route than the standard one. This possibly keeps it away from other items in the engine bay, or maybe reduces heat soak. Could just be a random thing though,

For those interested, the part number of this is 55354106.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah yes, the Astra H pipes. I think you are the second one to try this. But do you really think you can notice the difference or is it a question of convincing yourself?

The only times I can see this being better is if the rubber pipe collapsed. I know this can happen with a modded car, but I am unsure I have heard of it happening on a standard one.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine isn't standard. Even if you can't feel a difference, just knowing the setup is better will give peace of mind. I haven't driven mine yet, I doubt there will be much to report, but if there is, I'll report it here.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers for the info Mike Once the thread comes to a natural end I will move it too the FAQ/tech section
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you are going to do the boost pipe mod I think its a good idea to go down that route as it allows some flex when the engine moves.

when I sold my car the rad mounts were pretty fecked and the rad wobbled about excessively.

Still not convinced that mod does anything at all tho on a standard car with a pressure of about 9PSI, thats bugger all for a fibre reinforced hose

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legoman
    Still not convinced that mod does anything at all tho on a standard car with a pressure of about 9PSI, thats bugger all for a fibre reinforced hose
    I do understand where you are coming from, but for Vauxhall to go to the time of redesigning this and fitting it to low power 170PS Mk5s, there must be an advantage of having this, even if it is only a small one.

Anyway - I've driven my car today and I can say that the boost seems to pick up a bit quicker and waiver less when it gets to holding pressure.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The standard hose NEVER collapses, even at full throttle lift off (I have specifically tested this one the dyno), it does suck in, which may cause hesitance, but this is easily fixed by either fitting a power pipe from EDS/Regal or Courtenay silicone hose set, which is stiffer than the stock rubber pipes.

The one thing with the stock Astra H pipe is that it looks cheapo rubbish (not saying that it is), a polished or colour coded power pipe will always look better than a plastic pipe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive had one of these pipes for a while now, when i first drove it after fitting i noticed the boost spikes less and seems more stable when accelerating on main roads etc.

It doesnt look tacky it looks like a proper manufactured part and also stops any stress on the IC when the engine moves back and forth unlike an aftermarket pipe.
    Corsa C LEH 4x4?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    The one thing with the stock Astra H pipe is that it looks cheapo rubbish (not saying that it is), a polished or colour coded power pipe will always look better than a plastic pipe
    How can you say that!! Bet it cost more to manufacture than a 2 pound piece of steel pipe with some paint on it.

It fits the bill for those people that want to keep the engine bay looking origonal just one blue pipe would look crap in my engine bay cos its all stock.
    Corsa C LEH 4x4?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenC
    How can you say that!! Bet it cost more to manufacture than a 2 pound piece of steel pipe with some paint on it.

It fits the bill for those people that want to keep the engine bay looking origonal just one blue pipe would look crap in my engine bay cos its all stock.
    I work in the car industry and I would bet against you Ben (our company pays about 37pence apiece for Denso Iridium spark plugs ) I did say that it would look cheapo rubbish though, not that it was. A nice polished pipe would be my preference, PACE are doing a polished ally version of the power pipe, with longer silicone hose sections to accomodate engine rock (perhaps PACE know more about these issues than Regal?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast