Thread: 1.8 ecotech manifold

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry 1.8 ecotech manifold

i thought i was getting a very slight tapping noise from the engine so had her serviced and checked over. my engineer said the engine was perfect but sudgested it was the manifold as they a prone to get a hairline crack and there for get a slight blow hench the tap

anybody had this problem or no about it
    1.8 16v sxi ecotech

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes it can be a problem...mainly on 2.0 manifolds.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Is yours the Mk3 with the 1.8 16v...? If so take the heat sheild off and start the car and feel for any blowing around the thermostat housing area (left side as you look at it, and be carefull not to burn yourself - disclaimer) the manifold bolts around that arae take most of the hot/colt heat changes and are subject to shearig off, mine done it at 34000 on a 2.0 16v Ecotec.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mk4 1.8 echotch
    1.8 16v sxi ecotech

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    Is yours the Mk3 with the 1.8 16v...? If so take the heat sheild off and start the car and feel for any blowing around the thermostat housing area (left side as you look at it, and be carefull not to burn yourself - disclaimer) the manifold bolts around that arae take most of the hot/colt heat changes and are subject to shearig off, mine done it at 34000 on a 2.0 16v Ecotec.
    Mine has done exactly that (MK4), the bolts have sheared off and the manifold is blowing.

I got qouted £474 from Vauxhall to get it sorted, they said the head would need skimming.

How much cheaper could I get it for do you reckon>

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have all my work done at langham motors they told me it was just a new manifold bout 130 plus fitting no more then 180
    1.8 16v sxi ecotech

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GazNofx
    Mine has done exactly that (MK4), the bolts have sheared off and the manifold is blowing.

I got qouted £474 from Vauxhall to get it sorted, they said the head would need skimming.

How much cheaper could I get it for do you reckon>
    Not sure how much it would have costed. I done it with some help from my good old dad.

If your anyway good with spanners you could try it without taking the head off. Only if there is some thread left on the studs themselfs its a game of luck.

Buy a full set of manifold studs and bolts from Vauxhall.

Using loads of WD40 spray all bolts concered in the down pipe and manifold bolts etc

Removed the heat sheild first to see what the problme was. Notice at least two (eventially 3) manifolt bolts had sheared off at the thermostat side.

We removed the downpipe from the manifold first as its on a flexipipe further down.

Then tackled the bolts that were left on. Many more sheared off trying to remove them. Some of the studs may come out with the bolt, some may not i.e. the bolt comes off only

One all the bolts/studs had come out it was then a case of tacking the studs that were left in the head.

To remove the studs including the ones that had sheared off, we used two of used nuts and screwed one up but not tight, and took a second nut and screwed that up behind the first so they were tight against each other using spanners to lock them.

Then with a fingers crossed an a bit of leverage we drew the stud out using the spanner on the first nut to screw the stud out (NOTE: I can't rememebr if it was clockwise or anti-clockwise but check the tread on the new studs first)

If you take your time you should be able to remove all the studs and then put the new ones in at the right torque settings and then put the manifold back one (if its not cracked) and put the nuts on at the right torque settings as I think if they are not that casuses half the problems.

I accept no responsibility for any damage incurred to you or your car or anyone else you decide to thump if you have a go at this.

If you further shear off the stud then its a head off and machine shop job I am afraid

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I was lucky when I did my manifold bolts on my Calibra 16v. I took the manifold off, got a contractor at work to weld the crack, and then I renewed all the studs and nuts before putting it back on.
    Now drives : 2002 Astra SRi Turbo in Black
    PREVIOUS ASTRA'S : 1990 GTE 2.0 8v | 1993 1.4 GLS | 1994 1.6 Cesaro | 1995 1.8 16v Sport