Thread: Advice on ICE needed

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Advice on ICE needed

Hopefully, with any luck im going to be ordering my ice setup this month.
    Thing is, im not exactly sure what i should be going for.

Im thinking of getting 2 x 12" Alpine Subs, i think these are about 300RMS.
    Im also going to be having a touch screen in the dash, and an INCAR pc in the boot. I will also probably be getting some components for the front, and should; with any luck be running the music, dvds etc from the PC.

I will also probably still have a cd player in the front of the car, but not 100% sure yet.

Taking this into account, should i be looking at getting 1 amp or 2, and what spec would be suitable?

Im still in two minds if to get a power cap, probably will just to add to the look of the install.

Is it also better to go for the same make of amp/components, i.e if im getting alpine subs, get alpine amps and so forth?

Any advice is welcomed! Cheers
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    first off, I dont understand how youre going to navigate the PC with it in the boot!
    Its not necessary to match makes.
    Youre prob best with a biggish mono or 2ch Class D amp to run the 2 subs and a smaller 2ch to run the front comps. I wouldnt spend the money on a power cap, if you HAVE to burn 50-odd quid spend it on better comps, sound deadening, or wiring to improve the big 3 connections under the bonnet.
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea, not sure about the power cap, sound deadening is a must, and ive just been working out the amount i need for the car

What do you mean about navigating the pc from the boot?

It will be turned on when the engine is turned on, and it will load straight into the media engine, and it will be controlled via touch screen, from there i can do anything needed
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I get ya, skim-read the touch screen bit! sounds like a good plan mate, let me know when youve got a budget so I can go window shopping!
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as adition to the 2x12" subs in the boot, its going to look a bit plain for what i want. Would the system work well with having 2 other 10" subs, also alpine?

Or would it be better going for 2 other smaller size subs?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your best off using all the same subs, i've seen some installs done with varying sizes of subs, but all the advice i've ever seen/heard is to keep to the same make and size subs as far as possible.

If you want to have 4 subs, i'd suggest 10", they'll need smaller enclosures so the chances are you'll be able to make something ideal, as opposed to making do with the space you have.

Amp wise, just make sure what you choose is strong enough to run the subs without burning up, somethng fan cooled would also be good if your mounting them awkwardly.

You don't have to use the same make equipment throughout the car, but it might look better if you intend to show it off. Be carefull tho if you choose Alpine amps, i don't think i've seen them quote the power ratings at anything below 14.4 volts, and i believe most cars run 12v (but i awaited correction).

As for the power cap, it depends on how many subs you use, what you listen to, and how loud it goes regularly. If you use 4 and listen to 'urban' music loudly, you might want to think about it, but if you listen to rock (which i doubt, coz you wouldn't need so much bass potential) and are only running 2 subs off 1 amp you won't need it.

Whatever you choose to do i would budget to dynamat the boot properly, it'll improve the bass.

(i think this is the longest post i've written! all information expressed as opinion and shouldn't be construed as fact, if any of it's wrong that is )

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    everything Kevseymore has said is pretty spot on

your after a big bassy install so defianatly get some sound deading of some sort be dynamat, brown bread etc but do the whole not just the boot.

as for the subs mixing and matching is fine but is doesn't look as good and there isn't a poblem mixing 10's and 12's it all depends on how you want it to look. could look pretty impressive with say the 10's facing up with the 12's behind faceing out.

as for the power cap personal i think they should be a last resort but they are a contresa subject some people praise them till the cows come home others hate them. i don't hate them but before buying one i would uprate the lead that gose from the battery negative terninal to the chasis. make sure all earth connections for the amp go to a good cean metal on metal connection (not paint near by) uprate the battery and the alternator,

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for all the useful info.. now im still in 2 minds what todo

What i do know though is its going to take ages to do this install, as its probably going to cost well over £1k after the equipment, sound deadening, and all the fibreglass etc.. but im definately going to make sure i do it all properly, as i do want it to be show car standard if possible.

A few people ive spoken to have said the same about using the same size subs, others have said it doesnt matter, the only reason i was thinking of different sizes is purely for looks, just something different rather than having 4 of the same size (still undecided what to do yet though).

You say about the amp being 14.4 volts, if that is the case, what would i have to do, and what issues would this cause?

Again, back to the power cap, i listen to all kinds of music really, anything thats on, or any good cds i hear so its hard to narrow down what i'd listen to the most... if i were going to have a powercap, i'd have to decide right at the start(if it were to be visible for the install) because i need to build up the layout etc..

Im definately going for dynamat extreme though, expensive but i think its worth it. One thing i am unsure about is what areas to cover, i know i need to do all the stuff behind the plastic/carpet etc, but on the coupe top boot door, theres a bit of carpet sort of in the centre and then theres bare metal around the outside, and again on the roof of the boot, its just metal. Would i leave this how it is, or also cover the metal up too?

Do you think it would be worth asking ice companies to sponsor me? Or is that very unlikely to happen anyway?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Car amps will run at anything between 15V and 11V (ish). If you run with the engine off, the battery will supply about 12V. If you run with the engine on the amp will recieve 14.4 Volts because that's what the alternator puts out. (higher in order to charge the car battery.)

Makes no difference to what amp you can fit. Any car amp will work at 12 or 14.4. The only difference is that on higher voltage they will pump out more power. That's why manufacturers may quote figures at both voltages, with higher output at 14.4. Plus most people will be running the engine when the ICE is one. Mainly cos they are driving, but even at shows you may want to run the engine to avoid flattening you battery by the end of the day. (Unless you running a 2 battery setup).

As for being sponsored - I think you would be VERY lucky for that to happen. Most cars you see with the installers logo on have not been sponsored, they just put the logo into the boot builds they do for clients. I think your car would have to be of a showcar standard before they would consider sponsoring you, and you would have to go 100% with their ideas and make your car availible for their promotional activities. Plus it would probably take a long time to do, as they would do it in between other jobs. Finally, most ICE shops have their own demo car, or use staff cars for this sort of thing. If you hear different, let me know! Cos I would like my system rebuilt too!

Cheers
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea, i sort of knew that i wouldnt be able to get a sponsor, worth a thought though..
    but i definately want my own install, on layouts etc, just rather it be with someone elses money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast