Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC2's Top Gear might get scrapped!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

BBC2's Top Gear might get scrapped!

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    'Petrolheads' under attack

Environmental campaigners have called for the BBC's Top Gear programme to be scrapped as they claim it promotes irresponsible driving. But how fair is this criticism?

For many motoring enthusiasts it is among the highlights of the television week.

But, with its irreverent style and penchant for high-speed stunts, Top Gear attracts fans and critics in equal measure.

Now the BBC Two programme has come under fire from the Transport 2000 pressure group, which has called for it to be taken off the air and replaced with a show that promotes "sensible driving in sensible vehicles".

Last year the programme took a 4x4 vehicle up Ben Tongue mountain in Scotland, churning up heather and sensitive peat on the way, and causing substantial ecological damage.

A few months earlier the BBC was forced to apologise after the programme's team tested the durability of a truck by ramming it into a 30-year-old chestnut tree, infuriating locals in the Somerset village of Churchill.

Transport 2000, which is committed to reducing the environmental and social effects of transport, argues that Top Gear falls short in its responsibility to educate viewers and acknowledge the interests of women drivers.

"We want to see Top Gear taken off the screens," says Steve Hounsham, of Transport 2000.

"It is irresponsible, out-dated television designed to give comfort to boy racers, 'petrolheads' and those from the 'get out of my way' school of driving.

"This is not about censorship or having a poor sense of humour, it's about what is in the public interest. You can provide entertainment without it being mindless and irresponsible."

But Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond believes the attacks are unwarranted.

"These people clearly haven't watched the programme," he says.

"Top Gear is an entertaining show, for people that are interested in cars, that is driven by people who have been motoring journalists for many, many years."

The presenter stressed that Top Gear aims to provide "entertaining television" for motoring enthusiasts, whereas the programme mooted by Transport 2000 "wouldn't be watched for more than a week".

"If their idea of a motoring programme is a good one, and it is fair and balanced, they should try to make it. That does not mean that Top Gear should be scrapped. There is plenty of room on public service television for other motoring programmes."

A BBC spokesman also defended the show, saying: "Top Gear takes issues of safety very seriously and none of our presenters advocate or encourage speeding or dangerous driving.

"The reason we have the test track [which stages high speed tests] is so that any high powered cars can be driven in a safe and controlled environment."

"Top Gear gets a regular audience of three million, nearly half of which are female," said the spokesman.

"A broad range of motoring issues are discussed including road safety to the latest models available".

Meanwhile, controversy about the programme has spilled over into the pages of the Daily Telegraph, with one reader partly blaming the show's chief presenter, Jeremy Clarkson, for the company's demise, because of his derisive reviews of Rover cars.

It's not the first time Clarkson's comments about Rover have been interpreted as unpatriotic - his previous comparison of the Rover 75 to a "vicar's elbow patch" met with a similar response in the pages of the Birmingham Post.

But Mr Hammond, who expressed sadness at Rover's woes, denied any bias, stressing that a wide range of vehicles appear on the show and are reviewed in a "fair and balanced" manner.

"If we drive a Rover and think it is rubbish, no matter how much we want the company to survive, we have to tell the truth," he says, while adding that many cars made by the company had received favourable reviews on the programme.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4432279.stm

So what do you all think?
    I for one would be upset if they take Top Gear off the air, the program doesn’t influence the way I drive and I very much doubt it does the way other people do ether!
    towerstimes.co.uk

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    another thing to go into the otehr thread abotu the countrys state i think. Just saftness, people go out looking for something to maon about, this time its top gears time, next week it will be bill for making people want to break the law, lol.

Be gutted if they do, like they say, its 1 of the only good programmes left on tv these days

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The bit about women is total crap because when you apply for tickets, (I have been trying to get tickets for ages) they state that it has to be equal no. of Men and Women in the audience.
    Work to Live, don't live to work.

Driving a Signum 3.0 dti and loving it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Top Gear will be going for years. Always has been, always will.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Top gear is brilliant. I really hope it stays. It's entertaining.

Those pressure groups need to realise that people are not mindlessly stupid and wont just go and copy stuff they see on TV. I have to agree, though, that driving a truck into a tree is a bit daft. However, I dont think we need to get upset about a bit of fern... there's loads more left still!!
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the bbc wont jeapordise all their viewers for in my opinion "old fuddy duddies" or "tree huggers" just because theyve written a few letters
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    load of rubbish to the point when I was reading about it the other day I thought it was an april fools joke.

The BBC will never get told what to do like that, especially on the winning formula they currently have.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "This is not about censorship or having a poor sense of humour, it's about what is in the public interest. You can provide entertainment without it being mindless and irresponsible."

So what does trasport 2000 want us to watch?!

" Hi and welcome to 4th gear. Ok today were going to drive the Citreon C3 1.1 around our test track. Oh, but safty first, we have 8 fire engines on stand by just in case that when we try and do the emergency stop at 30mph the car doesnt catch on fire.
    This car has a top speed of 93mph, but we will never know because the law states that you can only go 60mph on major roads and 70 on motorways....well we recommend that you only do 55mph, dont want you to get in an accident now do we"

mmmmmm good one Transport 2000

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one of the only good shows on BBC and shirley ghostman

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That really is the biggest load of rubbish i've read for a long time. I've never noticed one hint of sexism since i've watched Top Gear. Sexism wouldn't even be an issue if the pressure group hadn't suggested it in the first place, they're just looking for excuses.

Complete load of rubbish, will be a shame if it gets taken off,.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast