Thread: air leaks in manifold ... where ?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy air leaks in manifold ... where ?

hi all!

I suspect to have an air leak somewhere in the manifold, between the AFM and the plenum chamber.
    It might be the DV, I will check by removing it.
    What do you think about the sensor plugged into the intercooler, could it leaks air as well ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it could leak, try tightening the nut on it. leaks r a pain in the a****. i have split hoses from the turbo(twice), dv pipes, the larger clip came loose, on the crossover pipe after the AFM.

what r your symptoms and r u running any mods?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get some brake and clutch cleaner ad spray over the parts you think ma leak.
    if theres a leak it will suck it in and the revs will go up.
    i drive an astra-f gsi special edition x20xev on throttle boddies
    http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.p...pecial+edition

www.mk3oc.com

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't have yet a boost gauge to check the amount of pressure, but when I floor from low revs in 3rd gear for example, I can hear a grinding sound from the left of the car, especially if I'm beside a wall, a sound like ... an air leak!

I had split hoses also, from down the turbo to the intercooler, and changed them with silicone ones and big clamps, so.... I suspect the problem is coming from elsewhere. Could I have a hole in the intercooler ? Is it possible ?

I'll try tightening the nut on the sensor at first, and maybe spraying the cleaner if the noise is still here...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is quite an obvious noise when the engine is in overboost, such as at low revs in 3rd gear. Are you sure you have a leak? Most leaks would result in sporadic behaviour under acceleration (e.g rapid changes in rates of acceleration as you go through the revs)

Jonathan

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes, I have these symptoms, but I don't know how to be sure if it comes from an air leak, because I had lost a lot of power the last months, and I've got P0170 error (fuel trim malfunctions).
    I've changed the AFM/AMM and I feel the car is a lot quicker than before, but guess what, 2 days after I've changed it the P0170 error came back... what's wrong ? The car pulls better but there's still a bad mixture from time to time?
    I read in some other posts it could be the fuel pump, I can check the fuel's pressure, but it also could be a faulty oxygen sersor, how to check it ? I cannot change every part!

And if it was just an air leak ? I had these noticeable power adjustments when I'm accelerating. Sometimes I have more, and sometimes less power.

There's also another thing. Sometimes, when the car's idleing, rpm falls down to 400/500 near the limit of stall, then after 2,3 maybe 4 secs revs get back to normal

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a leak. Cheack all the pipes on the manifold for leaks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben lee
    get some brake and clutch cleaner ad spray over the parts you think ma leak.
    if theres a leak it will suck it in and the revs will go up.
    DO NOT DO THIS!

Spraying brake cleaner on a hot engine is not a very good idea, it can (and has happened to me) go up, suddenly a small air leak isnt a problem as the engine is on fire, and running.

WD40 is a better idea, it will still block the leak but its ignition temp is higher.