Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry The big fuel debate

Ok this has been bugging me for some time now

I bought a diesel golf as i liked the idea of getting around 50mpg and the price of diesel per litre was the same as petrol and the performance was prety good on them

however Gordan "fat cat" Brown had decided that he will bump diesel up a couple of pence more than petrol each budget thinking no one notices. So will it get to the point where diesel will be so much more than petrol that it wont make a difference what you drive

so basicly i am at the point where i say so my self do i do the golf up the way i want and end up having a car that costs the same to run as a petrol hot hatch or do i sell the bugger, loose more dosh again and pick a petrol car and stick with it for the next decade prob
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Chip it u pussy. I'm just about to do the Leon, and go even lower than 23mpg I'm getting at the moment ...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My wife has a 307 diesel. We thought it best to get a diesel as she does high mileage. Turns out diesel prices go up and the 307 doesn't even do that good mpg (about 500 miles to a 60 litre tank!).

Diesel is becoming a waste of money IMHO.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have recently moved over to diesel and have to say - that with the current situation with fuel prices - I'd rather have a petrol car and enjoy my driving a bit more and get to my destinations that bit quicker.

The upshot is that insurance premiums for diesel are usually alot less that equivalent petrol cars.
    Me run tings.... not tings run me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my mother has just moved from Petrol to diesel and She says if the Prices on diesel go up much more she's gonna sell the Clio and get her Lotus Elise she's wanted for long enough!

Craig just do engine mods to the golf mate!!
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the price of diesel still has to rise another 10 - 20p a litre before the economics look unfavourable. (lower depreciation, easier mechanicals and better mpg). I'm at a stage where I like the torque from the diesel turbos and the NA petrols cant compete in drivability.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchpoo
    I'm at a stage where I like the torque from the diesel turbos and the NA petrols cant compete in drivability.
    Making the transition from a high powered petrol to a diesel can be tricky. -

I came from the Coupe Turbo to a Bora TDI.

The Bora as slightly more torque than my coupe did - so during acceleration it pulls just the same - but all of a sudden I'm on the 5K rev limit and all power is gone. - Where the coupe could have kept revving until 6.5-7K. - This can be disconcerting - also you can easily get caught out where you think the engine has enough revs to help you through a turn etc and it doesn't happen.

You have to learn to surf the torque in diesel and use the gears to keep it on the boil otherwise you'll be having a very unsettled ride. - Even the newer diesels have the same characteristics - its inherent.

IMO out of similar powered diesel and petrol engines - petrols win hands down for drivability and performance - no question about it.
    Me run tings.... not tings run me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If youre that budget conscious why not get a V6 GSi Vectra and convert it to Lpg? If you do more than average mileage it's the most economical route.

Really depends on what you want from your car........

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my golf is chiped Stev

out of my last £20 of diesl i got 160 miles

i got that in my 1.8 sxi

but then again i have been driving it like i stole it
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    Prince Eikichi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    imho, diesel is still cheaper
    for example my previous car was an astra G 2.0 DTI & I was doin' ~500miles with a full tank of diesel (lasting for a month)
    now with a civic coupe 1.7 vtec i get ~340miles with a full tank & gotta go to the petrol station twice a month

even if diesel is more expensive than petrol it's still cheaper to run
    or other solution you get a diesel & move to France where the diesel is nearly half price of the petrol
    Don't blame me if I say stoopid things or don't understand... I'm half French, half Pinoy lol

That's no fun being engaged to a Princess... she’s ALWAYS RIGHT & you're always wrong lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast