Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUB Help Needed!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question SUB Help Needed!! - Working Now!!!

Rite i have just put my amp and sub back in my car. Cos couple of weeks back i the phono leads had snapped off and the pins were stuck in the amp! So took it all out...took the amp covering off and managed to carefully push the pins out from the inside. And whilst having out all the centre console and surroundings, i thought it would be easier to rewire the phone leads and the other thinner lead(memory lead is it? cant remeber what its called now!!!) down and thru the middle of the car, under the seats and into the boot. Now that i have rewired the amp and sub up again, when i turn it all on..the sub is working but it just vibrates..and beats to itslef..not at all to the music, but when i turn the X-Over on the i can hear the music thru it. And i am really stumped as what is up with it and why it is doin it! Anyone any ideas or solutions?? Please!
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it sounds like youve high pass filtered the x-over to give the sub higher frequencies matey, set the X-over at about 80hz or LPF
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is still happening, doesnt matter which X-over stting its at either.. The phonos are plugged into the Low Frequency Input...and this vibration happens as soon as the headunit power goes on. Have played about with all the bass/treble and what have ya on the amp with no improvements! Could it possibly be interference with other wiring that runs along the centre console bit between the seats?? As i put the cabling within the trunking where other wiring had been run. That seems to be the only reason that i can think of, the old cables were run down the door trims with the power cable previously. Am just really baffled.
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rite i have changed literally EVERYTHING now and its still not working properly. My sub is fine, i know cos i hooked it up in my mates car and it was working ok. I tried different RCA leads..and same. changed earthing point...same. I hooked my mates amp up in my car in replacement for mine and the sub didnt work thru it, or niether did my mates sub. put my amp back in a tried my mates sub and same troubles. tried another HU and same problem. But th eonly thing that is better now is that the sub is now beating with the music but iits very faint...no thump thump as u should expect.

So now i am really baffled with the whole scenario...and i have managed to confuses MANY people at work bout this now too!!!

Could it possibly be either...

1. Earthing Point?? Where have you guys earthed yours to?
    2. Power cable...would this affect the subs loudness/performance?
    3. Remote lead interference with cables run alongside within the console tunnel?

I really dont know where else to go with this all now cos its really baffling me!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Have you checked which output on the head unit you are using?
    Sounds like you've plugged the sub RCA's into a front or rear output instead of the sub output.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have em plugged into the bus output...which used to work fine. have also tried em in the front and rear outputs and i get the same result! Tried all three of the outputs to cancel out if one of em had blown....which they havent as thereafter i tried a diff HU and the same thing still!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mate, I live in bishops stortford too, pop round one evening if u like and we'll have a lookie at it. I live on the Thorley park estate
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what sort of wiring layout do you have ?? are the power and rca leads seperate?? what sort of quality leads are you using the problem could be anything from an rca cable being nicked and earthing out to a problem in the amp i am in clacton on sea not exactley close but if you fancy a drive out i will take a look for you

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Peter that would be great..let us know what evenings ya free and can sort time out etc.

Cheers for your offer UkJay, but as you say its bit of a journey to clacton...but thanks again.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont think the rca should be connected to the BUS output for starters. It sounds like the problem is with a combination of things. I think your HU is probably ****ed, and your amp possibly has a bad earth. You say you can hear some kind of beat to the music when you changed the HU, thats telling me that it probably is working fine but the gain isnt up enough. Also maybe you shorted something out when u had the case off the amp?

Im free thursday night, friday daytime and possibly evening aswell.
    ----x--Petey--x----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast