Thread: Instrument clusters

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Instrument clusters

Quick question... are the instrument clusters (speedo unit) interchangeable between different spec models (MK4) ie SRi, GSi and others?

Apart from the difference in red line and top speed, would it work properly if swapped?

Rosco83
    Yeah they will work mate, i went through allot of asking around when going to fit mine... people saying they wont work etc. But... i know my vauxhall dealer personally and they all fit... even GSi ones will read the right speed. My car is a 98 Astra club, it came with no rev counter and it all works perfectly. The only thing that wont work properly is the rev counter like you said, unless you have an engine that revs to the same speeds on the new clocks your getting if you get me. If you buy the clocks new, Vauxhall (Holden for you i take it) will reset the mileage for you. But they can only do this once as after that the system blcoks them from doing it again. Then you have to go private to get it done again. As i had proof of my mileage, service history and Vauxhall had my full history too they sent me to a friend of theres with diferent software to change the mileage, no worries at all.

So all in all... they will work. And its so easy to change them over.

P.S Is there any chance you have a breakers yard with Mk4 Holden Astra's??.... I have my car badged as a Holden but cant get my hands on the steering wheel badge as it comes as part of the airbag assembly £300+ lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    didnt think vxl would reset millage due to it being illegal
    Balck Astra K Elite 1.4 Turbo

Rosco83
    Its not actually illegal to reset the mileage in any car, unless you are doing it for fraudulant uses, ie.. selling the car with untrue miles, taking taxi's miles back for tax breaks etc... They can reset the miles when you buy new clocks so it matches your old ones, or at there discretion thay can do it for you anytime.... If you have proof of your cars miles. My car has full history and i have all old MOT's, the car is from there dealership in my town and gets serviced there so they had records on there system too... the clocks i bought at a breakers had near 100k on them and my car has done 47K. I got them a month after a service so they knew i hadnt done 50k in a month.
    I do know them so they were good with me, but you should be able to get it done if you are genuine because regardless of the stigma around, its not illegal =o)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    dont you have to tech2 them??
    what did you pay for a set of clocks

Rosco83
    Yeah you have to tech 2 them, the plug is under your lower handbrake cover... Vauxhall had a go but tech 2 blocked them, probably due the clocks being second hand. So they gave me a number of a friend of theres who does digital mileage correction and he had all the newest software and hardware and he did it for £30 for me. normally £70 he said. With diferent software you can do it as many times as you like... unlike tech 2. He even set mine at about 256,000 for a laugh but he changed it properly after. The clocks are mint condition & cost me £30 also from a local insurance breakers yard. Though i could do with a new clear plastic facing. I think Vauxhall are around £100-£120+ for new clocks. If bought new they will change the mileage for you mind. Although... i have the gunmetal grey centre console etc so i might get GSi clocks to match lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    i have seen a set of clocks in this car that was a astra

Rosco83
    Bloody hell!!! good luck at climbing in there to get some clocks out!! hehe, there are soem bad cars at my local breakers but thats a nasty one! haha

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I asked a person that works there to move a vectra for me and he but the crap from the vectra on that
    when cars crash the clocks stop working at the speed of the crash that one is stuck at 45mph

Rosco83
    ahh, that sounds a bit better.. there are bits all over the place in that picture, anyhoo... im off to bed, its late and my eyes are going to shut without warning now!

Later guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast