Thread: My panel fit woes

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My panel fit woes

Finally, after about 3 months on and off of trying to sort out the panel gap on my merit with the GSi bumper i am happy now

This was the 'before' situation

and now the finished item, with clips welded on with JB weld in the right place it fits nice and snug

EDIT: Sorry, i forgot to add what had to be done to the brackets....they were cut, trimmed and welded so it would sit back far enough to fit.

Before:

After:
    Stop provoking me & i won't need to reply!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice work!! That's HEAPS better!
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra SRi 2.2L
    For all your Car Audio Questions
    http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/nutter.jpg
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubugger
    nice work!! That's HEAPS better!
    Cheers....i'll NEVER fit a gsi bumper to an astra merit again...it was way too much work, if i had know i'd have left it standard looking and bought a gsi instead. lol

Just got to get the rest of the kit fitted and then its off for a respray

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    looks a million times better and that attention to detail and quailty is what its all about for me. Its hard to acheive but the other all look of the car will be brilliant when its finished.

Why was the fitment so bad in the first place? Is the merit that much different? Or a case of warped/miss shaped bumper?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG
    looks a million times better and that attention to detail and quailty is what its all about for me. Its hard to acheive but the other all look of the car will be brilliant when its finished.

Why was the fitment so bad in the first place? Is the merit that much different? Or a case of warped/miss shaped bumper?
    Bit of both i think Mat. That bumper was really beaten up when i got it, not so much warped, but deap scratches, and a dent in the middle.

Apparently the GSi front panel sits further back than merit models (why they done this i don't know) but all i know, as you can see in the first pic, it was absolutely terrible.

I didn't even drive it home like that i was that embarassed....and i've had a lime green nova before lol so it must have been bad.

Like you said though, its the attention to detail that matters....the real GSi's panel fit isn't even as tight as mine, i see GSi's kicking about every now and then & i always look at the panel fit and its horrid.

So yeah, really really happy with it, the hardest job was gluing the wing clips on as the originals had broken off, and i tell you what, its not bloody easy, it took 8 times of gluing with superglue to get position right, each time removing + replacing the bumper to check it.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sounds very time consuming but the results are more than worth the effort
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep just waiting on the gsi front grille now. Its not like i had much choice, but i had to go for it even though i don't liek them that much

My 'custom' grille (which was made from 4 bits of other grilles to fit) came flying off at 40mph the other day on the A3....what wound me up isn't that it came off, its the fact that 20 minutes before it flew off i was redlining in 5th (stupid speeds) and it stayed put!

This was the WIP pic. RIP (pieces)

p.s My indicator lenses came flying off 2 weeks ago aswell lmao I never got told the astra wasn't really meant to do 150mph