Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Problems re-starting engine... suggestions please

Hi all,

Well I've stripped down my engine again coz it was running like a dog and I suspected the head gasket was on it's way out.

So heads came off, took it in to get it tested and skimmed and one side was right out apparently so it got skimmed and I've changed the gasket and cleaned the top of the pistons coz they were covered in burnt oil. I've put it all back together, got around my problem with Vx giving me the wrong inlet manifold gasket and rang every car parts shop in Newcastle till I found someone with a paper one, bought it and put it on, problem solved.. funny that...

Anyway, it's all back together, set the timing back up, tried to start it, nothing.. Sounded like the timing was out coz it didn't have much compression, so I've tried re-setting the timing 180degrees coz it might have been on the wrong stroke, and it started, coughed and spluttered like I expected to, and then I let it stop coz it sounded like the timing was still out by one or two teeth which puzzled me a bit coz I had the marks lined up as well as I could get them.

I've never managed to start it since. It just sounds like there's no compression in it at all when I turn it over, but when you crank the timing by hand it gets pretty hard to turn it so there clearly is some pressure. The same sound when I turn it over as it was making when my cam shaft seized on it, but it's all moving and turning. It just won't start. It's like a whirry noise, but no kick..

I think I remember I had to bump start it last time I took the heads off and put it back together, but I can't remember why I had to do that. Thing is though I don't want to have to put the wheels back on and start rolling it about when I'm still making sure the timing's right on it...

Any suggestions other than go out and buy a new car???

Cheers
    97 P reg Astra 1.6 8v X16SZR, and yes I have a Haynes manual

Rosco83
    i did this, and all it was was a bad loose earth on the inlet manifold.... ran like a charm after that. tho my timing was set up perfectly

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, move your timing a teeth or two around and see how you go mate...
    If you are getting good compression turning it by hand, then the valves aren't lining up with the stroke, because if you manage to turn it all the way through 1 stroke by hand, you should feel it lose massive pressure before the end of the stroke It sounds to me like the timing is out a few teeth.... Did you line up all the marks the way haynes says? Just wondering maybe something else slipped somewhere else causing those marks to be out...

Aaron
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra SRi 2.2L
    For all your Car Audio Questions
    http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/nutter.jpg
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I know there's a bit of an issue putting on a brand new belt coz the older ones are stretched slightly so the marks may line up perfectly, but I've had the marks lined up spot on on mine and it still won't do anything. That's why I tried turning it 180 and doing it again coz I wondered if it was the crank that was out. But it did the same so I've put it back to where it was when it started.

I'll check all the earths and I've got the battery on charge for a bit coz I managed to flatten it nicely the other day, so we'll see what happens this avo.

I tried moving the teeth around too, but it was blatently out of time then and didn't do anything. When it started, the marks were lined up perfectly which is why I was a bit puzzled about my mate saying the timing was out coz I've moved it around and had nothing since.

I know it's just gonna be one of those silly things that I realise I've not done, and I'll do it and it'll fire straight away.

Oh I think we noticed one of the plugs wasn't sparking the other day too, but that could have been coz of the flat battery.

Yeah I did check the haynes too.

I'll report back and let you know how this avo goes..

Cheers guys!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All sorted!

As I said, it was one of those stupid things that I hadn't actually realised I had to do. I'd not put the auxilliary pulley back on the crank shaft. I was too busy lining up the timing on the crankshaft gear with the camshaft gear, so I didn't bother putting it back on. My mate looked down and asked why I had it off and I explained and he just told me to put it back on. So I did, he turned it over and it fired straight away. What a prat... Never mind..

All up and running now though. It sounds much better too than it did. It sounds quite nice but the clapping tappet is still there unfortunately. Grrr!

I'm just having problems getting the driveshaft out of the hub now to sort out my front suspension. So I'm still narked, but my engine's on the move. :-)