Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does it seriously sound like is wrong?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What does it seriously sound like is wrong?

I posted earlier about clutch problems, i have a dilemma, tell vauxhall in the morning to go ahead with taking the gearbox out to find what the problem is or hope that it is indeed a faulty clutch, and get the car back and have my dad and his mates fit it themselves. Vauxhall and my dad can't be sure what the problem is without taking the gearbox out but the symptoms are:

Car jolted when i changeed from 2nd gear to 3rd gear ( quite high revs in 2nd gear at the time )
    Bite is higher than it used to be.
    Clutch smelt v. badly when AA guy reversed it about 2-3 metres when arrived shortly after the jolt.
    Clutch slips when revs are high ( AA guy drove it to vauxhall dealership v. slowly )

Car is 53 plate, 16k miles.

Should i go ahead and let vauxhall take out the gear box ( £300 ) and then have them tell me it is indeed a clutch problem and that they will replace the clutch cylinder/clutch for a further £300 or should i assume it is the clutch and have them give it back and buy the clutch myself and get it fitted by my dad etc.

The other 2 problems they said it could be were the clutch cylinder needed replacing or some seal had gone and had leaked into the bellhousing? I think that was it, do these sound likely considering the symptoms?

Cheers.

Allan.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allan86

Car is 53 plate, 16k miles.

Should i go ahead and let vauxhall take out the gear box ( £300 ) and then have them tell me it is indeed a clutch problem and that they will replace the clutch cylinder/clutch for a further £300 or should i assume it is the clutch and have them give it back and buy the clutch myself and get it fitted by my dad etc.
    The car should still be under warranty so you should not be paying for anything to be fixed?

I would not expect to have clutch problems after 16k miles so I would be pressing VX to be doing this FOC.
    5-Door Star Silver Astra SRi 2.0 Turbo (200bhp) with Exterior Pack

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In the car manual it says that the clutch is not covered by warranty in the 2nd year of warranty, i phoned vauxhall head office and spoke to a woman who told me the exact same thing.

Cheers.

Allan.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    as a good will jester i would think they would pay 50% of the bill

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think they work like that mate

Cheers.

Allan.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allan86
    I don't think they work like that mate

Cheers.

Allan.
    they will trust me just call head office and ask to speak to a manager say has my car has a full vauxhall service history they will look after you could you at least help with the cost of the repair i would give you the name of the person i just at vauxhall but i am off work at the mo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just had an uprated clutch on mine mate, for a different reason I would imagine, I had a remap and the later cars have a naff clutch, but I was still faced with the same dilema as you.

Vauxhall wont make the call on Warranty until the clutch is out and they can inspect it. When you think about it, it all kind of makes sense as it is a wear and tear item, same as brakes. Some people drive round with their foot on the clutch pedal etc, not saying thats you, but they need to see why its slipping.

Having seen an estinmate someone got, region of £700 if it goes non warranty I decided to get an uprated one.

I you're confident that the clutch wont look worn out when they remove it then try the warranty, if not sort it yourself, otherwise you'll get screwed for labour

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18
    they will trust me just call head office and ask to speak to a manager say has my car has a full vauxhall service history they will look after you could you at least help with the cost of the repair i would give you the name of the person i just at vauxhall but i am off work at the mo
    They wont pay for anything unless they really have too. 2 cars in our house had to have new ECU's, one got 40% paid because it had a full service history, I only got 20% paid on mine because I refused to back down. Don't expect anything and the only way is up.

Keep pushing them and good luck.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is unreasonable to for a clutch to last such a short period. Also, your problem sounds like a mechanical failure, not wear and tear. Assuming you have not modified the car too much, they should cover this under warrenty. My wife had her clutch replaced under warrenty due to a problem with it - this was on a Peugeot 307 BTW.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vauxhall's warranty plainly states clutches, brakes and other wearing parts are only covered for 1 year or 10,000 miles whichever comes first, and only then will be replaced if proven to be faulty due to bad workmanship.

In other words if your granny burns your clutch out in the first 5000 miles while she's trying to park outside the Post Office, then it's tough luck.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast