Thread: Speaker Wiring

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Speaker Wiring

Wonder if anyone would be kind enough to lend some advice...

I will be fitting some Infinity Kappa's to my Astra soon which will be powered off of a Rockford Fosgate 501x amp and I have a bit of a dilemma.

As you well know, the door cable connectors won't allow a new speaker wire to be passed from the car chassis to the door, therefore replacing the standard cabling will be a problem.

Would you advise:

1. Drilling this connector to pass a new cable through to the speakers or

2. Taking the new speaker cable from the amp to the ISO connector at the back of the headunit and using the existing car speaker cabling from the ISO to the speakers?

Do you think that you'd notice much of a difference if the new cable were used to power the speakers as opposed to using the car cabling?

Thanks!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site firstly

In answer to your question it all depends on how much work you want to cause yourself. Yes the right way to do it is to drill them grommets or the door skin either but I don't think you would notice the sound difference if you just connected onto the ISO block
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for the warm welcome!

I've got to admit, I am a little loathed to put the effort in to drill the connectors and feed the cable through, but more than that I think that once I've put the system in, I'll want someone to fit an alarm to the car too, and provided that I can make the hole in the connector big enough, all the cabling can be put through the same hole.

One other question... do you think it'd be worth putting in a 1 farad cap just to solidify the bass and improve clarity?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Trust me a alarm fitter shouldn't need to go into your door at all to fit a alarm system

Oh and sorry I can't offer advice on the1 farad cap, i'll leave that to someone else....
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason