Thread: Upgrades

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Upgrades

i think im gunna have to upgrade a couple of bits in my astra as firstly not being able to play CD-RW's is very hard to put up with (im too tight to buy CD's) and having no bass from the HU isnt good either,
    atm the original speakers seem to be fine but i want more bass so want to get a decent amp and sub which will have to go into the boot, (but i dont wanna lose too much space back there,
    also for this ill need a new headunit, but i would prefer to keep using the display in the dash but not 100% important, but i HAVE to keep the funtionality or the steering wheel controls,
    so my questions are:
    1. does anyone have any reccommendations for a HU inc the funtionality that i want at a good price?
    2. any reccommendations on the amp/sub?
    3. any ideas how much this all would cost, prob including fitting as i wouldnt want to risk not doing it all properly?

Thanks
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i just read in another thread that someone who has the same stereo as i have in my old car (CDX-MP40) fitted that with a £30 adaptor and it works so i think ill do that to save cash.

i also already have two amps and a sub from my old car, (i was going to buy all new, but could just use that i guess)
    how hard would it be to wire all these up?

im know it means wires running the whloe length of the car and wouldnt wanna do this myself so would need to get it all done by someone else so any ideas on cost for this?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if u can get it to stansted airport ill do it for 100notes

if not, run cables down the car, read the instructions for the amp to see how to wire it up and bam job done. why do u want to pay someone to do it you bloody woos! youll prob end up parting with a good couple of hundred quid to have it put in professionally. Dont be a spoonfed monkey, make the right choice
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterPiper
    if u can get it to stansted airport ill do it for 100notes

if not, run cables down the car, read the instructions for the amp to see how to wire it up and bam job done. why do u want to pay someone to do it you bloody woos! youll prob end up parting with a good couple of hundred quid to have it put in professionally. Dont be a spoonfed monkey, make the right choice
    i know it aint that much of a job. but my knowledge of this is 0,
    ive got 2 amps so one would power the speakers and one the sub, so i would need too lots of wires from the stereo to the amps, then from 1 amp to the HU to power the speakers, the second would need wires to the sub,,...
    u see where im going.....i dont have a clue about it.....
    lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok here the basics:

Run power cable from battery to the boot (just one cable) make sure u get the correct gauge wire for the power tho. ie 2ga or 4ga or whatever. when its in the boot you can split the wire using a distribution block to feed both amps.
    From HU to amp you want RCA cables (preferably 2 - sub and front RCAs) also some thin wire called a remote that turns on the amps when the headunit is on (saves unneccessary drain on battery) this is normally blue.
    Then you want speaker cable going from your amp to sub and other amp to speakers up front.
    Then an earth for both amps, bolt one end to the floor under the seats or something (an earthing point) then just like the battery power cable, use a distribtion block to split the earth to both amps.

That was really brief i know, add me to msn if you like and ill talk you through it in more detail. Trust me mate youll be far more proud and happy with your system if
    youve put the hard graft into it
    net_nutter64@hotmail.com
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----