Thread: Steering Wheel controls...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steering Wheel controls...

I am planning to buy an Vauxhall astra 1.6 SXi (51plate) and he has installed another sony cd player.
    He said the steering wheel controls dont work but they can be connected with a connection bit from halfords? i hope this is true because i really want them steering controls...
    Sorry im new to this and have no idea...

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ye you can buy em, £30. no need to use em tho i find, its hardly any hassle to move your hand a few inches.. :s

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Connect2 make them for the Sony kit. I have one on my kenwood and I wouldn't be without it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    damn, fast replies.
    thanx
    i know its a bit lazy, but whats the point of having them if they dont work...

'connect2' - are these adaptors easily available? from halfrauds?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i see ur point there... but to pay £30 to make them work... i personally wont be buying them for my car. Dunno what the halfords models are but im sure they'll all work.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi there mac i bought my astra last month, i already had a sony cd/mp3 player (MP40) from my previous car so wanted to put this in. My Astra also came with a sony cd player, although it was not capable of controlling the s/w controls as it was a low end model, so i removed and replaced with mine.
    You can check if it is compatible by looking on the back of the stereo, if it has a jack plug connection with a blue ring around it then you should be ok. If it has you will be wanting an Autoleads PC9-106 cable for about £30 from halfords. Just go to your local halfords and check that your stereo is compatible, just to be on the safe side.

It was my thought to that what is the point in having them if they don't work, my sony MP40 came with a remote and i used to use it, but since sorting out the s/w controls i don't. Guess i'm just lazy.

p.s. you can get a more expensive lead (around £60 from halfords) to display information about the radio station etc on the centre display at top of dash as per the original radio's, i personally couldn't see the point though in paying twice as much when the same information is displayed about 8 inch lower. If you like the song, leave it on, there's no help in knowing what station it is on.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ah just a word of warning when fitting it. i had to change the power leads around on the original sony lead (these are the red and yellow wires attached to the connector that goes directly into the back of the stereo), as for some reason the ignition feed and constant power feed were the opposite way round on the other sony to vauxhall adaptor lead.

so when i put the PC9-106 in the stereo kept losing its memory when i left the car switched off for a while, an easy fix though on the red and yellow wires they have simple push connectors half way along them, just change them around.

If you need any more help with it just let me know.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ganda_sxi
    ah just a word of warning when fitting it. i had to change the power leads around on the original sony lead (these are the red and yellow wires attached to the connector that goes directly into the back of the stereo), as for some reason the ignition feed and constant power feed were the opposite way round on the other sony to vauxhall adaptor lead.

so when i put the PC9-106 in the stereo kept losing its memory when i left the car switched off for a while, an easy fix though on the red and yellow wires they have simple push connectors half way along them, just change them around.

Vauxhall swapped the permanent and switched positives over, so you have to connect yellow to red and vica versa on the Sony wiring. However the steering wheel adaptor swaps them over so you have to have red to red and yellow to yellow on the Sony wiring or you'll swap it back again.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ganda_sxi
    hi,
    ive got a MP40 in my old car and would like to fit it too my astra,
    what to u actually need to do to fit the s/w controls adaptor? where does it go from, the stero to where?
    i just want to know if itll be a simple job or removing peices of the dash?
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it plugs into the stereo and into the car ISO connectors that normaly go into the back of the headunit. dead easy to fit and you don't need to remove the dash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast