Thread: What to look for in amp?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What to look for in amp?

Right im pretty new to ice, but i do know that when looking for an amp to look at the rms power rather than max power.
    I have a jbl gt4-10 sub which runs at 250w rms, after speaking to a mate, i got the impression that the amp should have a more powerful rms rating than the sub, however after looking at the caraudiodirect website, it states that subs should be looking to run between 80-150 watts rms, or higher than the total power that all other speakers on the amp are running at.
    So question is, who do i listen to?
    Also I am looking at getting a 4 channel amp as im planning on upgrading to comps in the front at a later date, has any body got any advice on what amp to look at, budget cant be much more than £100.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    basically you want an amp that has a higher power handling rating than the sub the highe the better

this is so that you can get the best out of both the sub and the amp

bassically if you get an amp that has a lower or match power rating to the sub to push the sub you will max out the amp which will cause it to clip the signal. this is not good for the amp or the sub

if the amp can push out more than the sub can handle you will never push the amp to hard so it won't distort the the sound and you will be able to get the maxium out of your sub

but becareful that you don't turn the gain up to much as it will blow the sub.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeXI
    it states that subs should be looking to run between 80-150 watts rms, or higher than the total power that all other speakers on the amp are running at.
    I dont understand why they would say that at all. You can get 2500W rms subwoofers, and they would know this so i think youve probably mis-interpretted mate :s
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So then is this the type of amo i should be lookin at then?

http://jbl.com/car/products/product_...er=GTS&cat=AMP

Decent price eh?