Thread: Back Box Disintegrated

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face Back Box Disintegrated

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how long a standard back box should last on a 2000 1.8 SXi Astra G as after driving 150 miles from Leeds to Welyn Gargen City i noticed summot dangling under my car (which is only 4 and half years old) at first i thought it was a cat sat there but when i looked closer the bottom of my back box had fallen off and was hangin on by one edge bent back.
    My car is stll under warrentee but i want some facts if they start trying to wiggle out of replacing it on that.
    Would driving it back another 150 miles damage anything else? Apart from sounding like a old VW Beetle i havent really noticed any power loss from this but then again coming to think about it i may have.
    Anyway can anyone help me back up my argument when i go in to Vauxhall?

Thanx Rick
    Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest I think 4 1/2 years is pretty good for a standard back box. Did you get it second hand on network Q cause maybe they will replace it then. Otherwise ££££ get a stainless one.. As regards to damaging I think you will be ok apart from sounding like a tank.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i would say 4.5-5 years is the average liftime for an exaust going by the fact that when i brought my car which was five years old at the time it had just had a new back box and midsection fitted.

as BoltonDave says if you can afford now would be the perfect time to invest in a stainless steel exuast system a full system with a lifetime garentee will cost in the region of £300

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltonDave
    To be honest I think 4 1/2 years is pretty good for a standard back box. Did you get it second hand on network Q cause maybe they will replace it then.

Exhausts not on network q warranty.
    2001 1.8 SRI 130 Vectra
    2002 2.0 Turbo Cabriolet Astra

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't think exhaust was network Q although strangely my dad just got new brake pads fitted free because they were worn and still 1 month Net Q left....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltonDave
    Didn't think exhaust was network Q although strangely my dad just got new brake pads fitted free because they were worn and still 1 month Net Q left....

Brakes are covered in the first year, as well as clutch and battery.
    2001 1.8 SRI 130 Vectra
    2002 2.0 Turbo Cabriolet Astra

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep as i thought exhausts are not covered on any warrentee. So the next question is which is the best sounding box/system that any of you have seen for a Mk4 astra? But the cheeper the better as i dont have much money to spend. Seeing as it would be £150 at Vauxhall for a standard box and fiting i think i might as well get a stainless steel one as there are some about that are cheeper then that.
    Astra Coupe Turbo