Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

removing astra G gearknob

'02 astra coupe 2.2 lift-reverse

i've removed the plastic/leather surround with a stanley knife and i'm left with just the metal bracket. i read all the relevant posts i can find but i'm still not what i'm trying to achieve with the hacksaw.

i assume there is a rod or something coming up from the gearbox and this metal piece is either glued to it or threaded on.

it looks similar to this except the left-hand piece is still attached to my car (found this on forum)

http://img224.exs.cx/img224/1469/picture10qw.jpg

so...

1) where am i supposed to cut with the hacksaw ? up, down, round the circumfrence ? am i trying to remove the top bit to release it or split it so it seperates off the rod ?

2) do i need to be concerned with the lift-reverse (apart from cutting it) or is it pretty self-contained ?

oh, and i've tried pulling, hamering etc. and it won't budge. need to resort to the hacksaw.

thanks
    --
    pete

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfatass
    1) where am i supposed to cut with the hacksaw ? up, down, round the circumfrence ? am i trying to remove the top bit to release it or split it so it seperates off the rod ?

2) do i need to be concerned with the lift-reverse (apart from cutting it) or is it pretty self-contained ?
    1. All you need to achieve is to be able to open out the current location bore some how, so either cut inwards (vertically) using the stitching as a guide.
    Or horizontally downwards.

2. Don't touch the lift up reverse bit. You'll still need it with your new gearknob, it's not connected to your old one at all.

I was lucky and "just" pulled mine off.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I drilled a verticle hole in the top of the metal bit and then screwed in a big self tapping screw (blunt the end a bit first) - as you wind in the screw the knob is pulled off. Simple

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks a lot for the help all. in the end here's what i did... (for future reference)

i cut around the circumfrence using the ridges as a guide. i basically went in until i heard / felt a change in the saw. At that point i'd hit the steel splines in the middle

then i just used a screwdriver to prize the top off which released the rest of it. the lift-reverse wasn't an issue at all and the splines on the shaft were in-tact.

unfortunately because the shaft is kind-of U shaped, and the grub screw on my replacement is at the back, i had to mount it the wrong-way-round :'( looks like i'll have to shell out for an irmscher one after all.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad you got it sorted

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatass
    unfortunately because the shaft is kind-of U shaped, and the grub screw on my replacement is at the back, i had to mount it the wrong-way-round :'( looks like i'll have to shell out for an irmscher one after all.
    To get round that problemo - just fill the groove up with a piece of metal or hard plastic cut to fit. - used a couple of thicknesses of old CD (The disc not the box). Stick it in iwtih superglue, and when dry, refit the knob.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In the end, I rang up Richbrook - the manufacturers of my knob (tee hee) - and found out it is an 'M5' grub screw. Managed to get a 20mm one from a company locally but they would have sent me one if neccessary.