Thread: 2 x head units at once

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2 x head units at once

How do you power 2 head units at once, and use both either at the same time, or switch?

Are there wiring loom doublers or other connectors to use?

ps - I've done a search but can't find any advice on the site.

Ta

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Depends on what u want to do with them. To make the thing turn on u need to hook up permanent live, ignition switched live (which u can hook up to ur own switch if u prefer), and an earth. As for speakers, that's more complex. U'll need to setup some kind of a switch. If ur hooking up to an amp, u could use an A/V type switch on the RCA's. If u want to power speakers directly from the headunit, u'll need to build ur own switches.

If u use a dual pole dule throw switch, u could hook up the +/- Terminals of the speaker to the centre legs, and the +/- speaker outs of the headunit to the outside legs. Then Depending if u flick the switch up or down, it will connect the speaker to each headunit.

Then each speaker could be hooked up to either headunit - and u wont get crossed wires. If u turn on the H/U that's not connected to any speaker, then it wont do it any harm.

Just make sure that u do ur wiring carefully and dont short anything out - else u'll be in trouble.

If u give me more details of ur plan, I might be able to design a circuit diagram type thing. (I do this stuff as a hobby )
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got a head unit in and a dvd player in the second din unit in dash. i just looped a wire from main head unit to the back of the dvd player. so they are both powered up so can be used at same time.
    other people may have done it different????
    life's to fast to go slow. so get the turbo.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers fellas.

Situation is:
    Got a Sony AV head unit with a CD changer going through it. I want to add my Sony md player to the system either as a seperate system or through the aux in on the AV head unit. Plus theres also the steering control problem, but i think i'll just leave that out.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh then u'll probly be wanting to just splice into the power supply to the existing HU to get power/earth/ignition feeds - and obviously hook the pre-outs from the MD into the aux-in on the AV unit. U should be ok in terms of current draw on those wires since the MD unit wont be directly driving any speakers - just pushing a signal down the RCA's

As for steering wheel controls - I think ur best to just hook one or the other up - too complex else i reckon. Unless u fancy getting one of them "stand alone" sony controlers, and using that for one, and oem wheel controls for the other.
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why don't you sell both head units on eBay or here and get an MP3 one? So much easier?
    :: Computer repairs, Upgrades and Sales in the Greater Manchester Area ::

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ewg_uk
    Why don't you sell both head units on eBay or here and get an MP3 one? So much easier?
    Already got the mp3 CD changer mate, but i have a load of mixes on MD, plus i need a UK radio tuner as my AV has a US tuner.

Cheers for the help fellas