Thread: How to repair a scratch?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question How to repair a scratch?

I have a deep 4" long scratch on my bonnet, which I would like to sort today. I have used abrasive t-cut type stuff on it and although it is less noticeable, it is still blatantly there. Also - I'm not 100% sure if it has gone to the base coat as I imagine this would be a similar colour to my grey paint.

The car's colour is called Mirage, which is a light grey metallic. I have Scratch X and the correct colour touch up pen and lacquer (tested and passed for colour match).

The problem is - the touch up brush is wider than the scratch, so how I am to go about "filling" the scratch? I'm guessing paint across it and "spread" it into the scratch with my finger or similar - then polish away any excess with Scratch X or a clay bar once dry? Also, it I have managed to fill the scratch with base coat, how am I supposed to apply the lacquer?

If someone could let me know the best way, it would be a great help.

Many thanks.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    apply the paint using a cocktail stick Mike. Build it up in layers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Mike.

Just apply your colour with a cocktail stick as said.

Unfortunately it isn't as simple as you think to get it perfect especially with a metallic, you want to build your colour up and layer every 24 hours so that the colour has properly cured and so that if chipped again only one layer will be removed not all of them.

A common mistake is to just fill the scratch completely straight away, this does no favours especially in this weather.

When you have the colour up to same level as your original colour you want to no apply the clear, this is the same technique just leave plenty of drying time between coats.

Just slightly over fill the chip and now wetsand with a 3000 grit paper, scratch x may handle this but I doubt it so try something like SSR 2.5 or Meguiars DACP.

Stay away from products like T cut etc when touching a car up as they remove FAR too much of your hard work.

Take it slowly and you will be rewarded with a brilliant touch up.

Try the site below for step by step instructions.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/detailcity/
    we detail.............not valet