Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Add cornholio on Facebook

Speakers

I have a Mk4 5dr and am wanting to upgrade the factory speakers, but aint too sure if what I have found is any good.

For the front (17cm so I have found via searches)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...cd95b8ec0c6a50

For the rear (13cm)

Do you guys reckon these are any good???
    I found on one of my searches that the rear doors may not have tweeters in them, but the space is there, is that right?? So the 13cm ones I have found with the tweeters will be ok?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wouldnt know about speakers mate but you will need speaker adaptors for them and you'll be able to fit 16.5cm in the front and 13cm in the back. (im selling front adaptors if interested). just pop out the speaker grill youve got by the door handle and have a look about the tweeters
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You dont want rear speakers matey, just spend the extra on the fronts and you'll be set. These
    amped in the front will sound sexy as

Pete
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help guys.

Pete - Why shouldn't I upgrade the rear door speakers??

I'm not too fussed about Amps, cos I know if I get the speakers you advise and then purhase an amp, I'll want a sub but I'm not really fussed about having a big setup. Just wanting some decent speakers all round, do you not reckon they'll be any good at all???

Norm - how much are your adaptors for the front?? I saw them on the site in the links above for £15 I think they were.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In my (and the vast majority of ICE enthusiasts) opinion theres no point in rear speakers. If you have a good setup in the front (ie something similar to the comps i suggested) you wont benefit at all by having rear speakers, youll just drag the soundstage to the rear and waste time and money by buying and fitting them. If youre not wanting to amp the comps then tbh theres not much point in gettin particularly powerful ones because your HU will only be pumping out 4 x 21 W RMS at best which isnt going to make the most of 60-90W RMS speakers
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have just brought some of these and the sound is amazing in my opinion.

but as said, dont bother with the rears, and only bother spending this much if your going to amp them

Ex Astra Coupe Driver
    Now: Audi A4 Cabriolet

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH any speaker is better than the standard speakers but if you are not planning on amping them then speanding large sums of money is not worth it IMHO and so I agree with everyone else's comments.

BUT, Would I spend on rear speakers if I was amping the fronts and the rears. Yes, I would but, I would only buy a set of co-axials or indeed keep the standard speakers and run them of the headunit for the rear fill (carry on reading and I will try and explain it a little better).

While I agree 100% with Peterpiper's comments, yes in a perfect setup rear speakers will drag the soundstage back without some form of equalisation or crossovers. But this is not the perfect environment not by any stretch of the imnagination, so the benefit of not having rear speakers is less clear. Why, well as is well know most vehicles don't even come close to exhibiting real world acoustical characteristics. The Astra is no different as hard, reflective, multi-contoured surfaces are combined with soft, spongy seats and upholstery to create a mis-mash of standing waves, reflections, reverberations, peaks, dips, and just about anything else one could think of and then maybe more. On top of that, we've got speakers installed in some of the most mundane locations ever contrived by man. I mean, when was the last time you heard a concert with the highs coming from in front of you, the mids from below, and whats up with the gap between the tweeter and the midbass driver. Integration I think not! This is why in top SQ setups you see dedicated door builds, kickpanel builds etc. as it gives the SQ competitior a better soundstage that enables them to mimic as best possible the ideal conditions for a sound environment. So what is the purpose of rear fill I hear you say, well....

The purpose of rear fill is to add "depth" and "realism" to the overall sound of the system. Or this scenario might better describe it, 'When you attend a concert, the majority of the sound you hear comes directly from the stage in front of you. Some of the music you hear, however, has been reflected off of the walls of the auditorium. Since these reflected sounds are usually much lower in amplitude than the direct sounds radiating from the stage, their presence is usually very subtle. Nonetheless, they contribute greatly to the full, rich sound one experiences at a concert.' So in any car audio installation, you are trying to achieve the same results. There should be a good, solid, frontal-image, and just enough rear-fill to make the system sound natural.

As some of you may know, this type of system design is called the "front-stage/rear fill" approach. It is very popular with professional installers and sound-off competitors because systems designed in this fashion are quite capable of creating the illusion of a live performance.

So this is why I said I would upgrade my rear speakers, but 2 things:

1) The rear speakers do not need the same power as the fronts, so running them off the headunit is fine but....

2) And you need some time to set them up properly if you are going to upgrade them and amp them using either the crossover in your amp or the equalisation settings on your headunit. Or better still a dedicated processor of some sort with both equalisation and crossover settings.

In my setup I have a set of well quite pricey co-axials in the rear, but have retained the factory tweeters as I have found that it drags the soundstage upwards. I have set them up using my Processor such that they are barely audible. On top of this I have used the time alignment such that the sound hits my ears at, as best as possible, the same time as the fronts. Is it a perfect setup far from it but it is very very good but it will be better still once I finish everything and spend some time with a RTA and IMO, my ears, setting it up properly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can have them for a tenner delivered mate? pm me
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    BasilD - Woah! Thanks for that dude, very helpful. It actually does pay to ask questions. I'll just do the front I think.
    Can you recommend a good AMP for this?

Thanks all of ya.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A good amp for what? It depends on the power and the quality of the speakers you want to amp

My Alpine MRP T220 2ch amp (mint cond. all instuctions) would be suited to a set of 50W rms comps if you wanted to relieve me of it for £45 delivered
    ----x--Petey--x----