Thread: Nankang Ex-500....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nankang Ex-500....

Yesterday I noticed a screw right in the middle of my left rear tyre.
    So I pops off to Kwik Fit, who normally are brilliant at fixing these (sometimes for free even!!).
    Now I knew the rears were close to the limit, I'd swapped them from the front last year, and I was hoping to make them last until payday in a few weeks, but Kwikm Fit said they wouldn't fix them due to the state of them - which is actually fair enough and I agree.
    They only pair they had in for 205/50 16 were continentals at £105 each. I couldn't afford these, went away and rang some other local dealers.

Eventually I've ended up with 2 Nankang Ex-500's for £60 each - fitted.

Now, and my main point really, these have quite a big blankish tyre wall and it seems to causing quite a disturbing handling trait.

Going down the motorway at say 70/80 if I suddenly jink left or right (only a few feet) the front (still got originals michelins on after 37,000 mls!!) will turn imediately, then, say a split second later you can feel the back catch up. Its sort of a delayed reaction, like the back is squirming on the tyre walls and then getting back into line.

They seem to grip ok, but has anyone else noticed this sort of thing?

I've just increased the pressures from 28 to 30psi to no avail as well.

Cheers!
    ... indicators do not give you right of way!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Youll probably find its a characteristic of the tyre. Your michelins are a high quality tyre, where as the Namgkangs are cheap and cheerful, not suprising that theres a differance, the Michelins are just out performing the Nangkangs.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nakangs are poo.. Ive got them on the front but the NS-2 ones.
    Wouldn't like them on the back. Going back to Uniroyal when these ones die. Also the sidewall wears really quickly! Ran these for about 8-9 thousand and the side walls are nearly bald yet plenty of tred left in the middle!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, your prob best swopping ur nankangs to the front, atleast this way you can feel whats about to happen!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

Good point Dave!

If I had the same on the front then I'd not notice it as they'd both be reacting at the same time.

Not thought of that before - cheers!

I probably wouldn't have got them but I was in a bit of a fix really and had to get something that matched the cash in my wallet!!
    ... indicators do not give you right of way!!!