Hi there! Have seen some similar issues to what I'm about to ask, but none seem to match mine exactly... so here goes.
1994 M Reg 5 door Hatch CD 1.8 16v Ecotec engine.
1. ABS light comes on at random intervals, sometimes within 20 yards of leaving house, other times I can drive 200 miles up the motorway and it's fine. Other symptoms... I can hear something 'whirring' for a few minutes/seconds before the light comes on, and sometimes the ABS works (as if I've braked hard) when I brake at slow speeds (10 mph coming up to junction), and the car feels like it won't stop. I have cleaned the sensors on the front wheels, but can't get to the rear ones.... recent MOT said that there was an imbalance on the rear wheels. Garage reckons a rear sensor, says they need changing in pairs at £164 each, I'm not convinced they need changing in pairs!
2. Idle problems.... sometimes I can drive with no problems, other times when I'm stationary/approaching junctions the car goes to stall and recovers and sometimes stalls. Will always re-start with no issue. Someone has suggested that its the Idle Air Control Valve, but didn't say what to do with it or where it's located and Haynes manual has no reference to it...
3. Spark plugs seem to work themselves loose between services, when I say loose I don't mean to the stage of rattling, but they are well easy to un-screw, which I guess I shouldn't complain about! Just concerned there is a bigger issue....
4. Interior light operation from the headlight switch, sometimes doesn't work, other times its fine
5. Rear doors on central locking - no longer work.... how do I get the doors panels off to check/replace motors?
6. What mileage is good for a tank? Sometimes I get 420 miles other times 380, which I know is down to driving/how full etc. Wondered if this was good or not?
Also, don't know if anyone else has had this issue but the rear washer stopped working... investigation showed that the tubing had completely separated (not split!) inside the tailgate. Fixed easily with a one-way valve from Halfords.
Thanks in advance for your help, car is perfect in every other way... except maybe the driver