Thread: 1994 CD 16v....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1994 CD 16v....

Hi there! Have seen some similar issues to what I'm about to ask, but none seem to match mine exactly... so here goes.

1994 M Reg 5 door Hatch CD 1.8 16v Ecotec engine.

Problems...

1. ABS light comes on at random intervals, sometimes within 20 yards of leaving house, other times I can drive 200 miles up the motorway and it's fine. Other symptoms... I can hear something 'whirring' for a few minutes/seconds before the light comes on, and sometimes the ABS works (as if I've braked hard) when I brake at slow speeds (10 mph coming up to junction), and the car feels like it won't stop. I have cleaned the sensors on the front wheels, but can't get to the rear ones.... recent MOT said that there was an imbalance on the rear wheels. Garage reckons a rear sensor, says they need changing in pairs at £164 each, I'm not convinced they need changing in pairs!

2. Idle problems.... sometimes I can drive with no problems, other times when I'm stationary/approaching junctions the car goes to stall and recovers and sometimes stalls. Will always re-start with no issue. Someone has suggested that its the Idle Air Control Valve, but didn't say what to do with it or where it's located and Haynes manual has no reference to it...

3. Spark plugs seem to work themselves loose between services, when I say loose I don't mean to the stage of rattling, but they are well easy to un-screw, which I guess I shouldn't complain about! Just concerned there is a bigger issue....

4. Interior light operation from the headlight switch, sometimes doesn't work, other times its fine

5. Rear doors on central locking - no longer work.... how do I get the doors panels off to check/replace motors?

6. What mileage is good for a tank? Sometimes I get 420 miles other times 380, which I know is down to driving/how full etc. Wondered if this was good or not?

Also, don't know if anyone else has had this issue but the rear washer stopped working... investigation showed that the tubing had completely separated (not split!) inside the tailgate. Fixed easily with a one-way valve from Halfords.

Thanks in advance for your help, car is perfect in every other way... except maybe the driver

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not sure on anything else but the mpg is alright for a 55litre tank it's 35ish i think if its a 45 litre tank then its obviously more.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_1.816v
    not sure on anything else but the mpg is alright for a 55litre tank it's 35ish i think if its a 45 litre tank then its obviously more.
    Hi Rob, thanks for replying... shows that the engine is healthy then, I think its a 50 litre tank (never takes more than 48 litres on a refill...)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone any ideas on any of the problems please?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone at all? At least I've found some cheaper parts through one of the links here... thanks.

Rosco83
    Aswell as my mk4 Astra, i have an M reg Cavalier which is similar to the mk3..... my guess to your abs problem is that you need a new cv joint. Or you could just replace your whole drievshaft assembly with a secind hand low mielage unit. The cv joint has splines on it and your abs sensor reads as they pass it, if a tooth is broken your abs will be kicking in as the abs thinks that because a tooth or spline is missing, the wheel has stopped. If you take out the fuse for the abs your barkes will work fine, and the noise will/maybe go away. Its quite common on Cavaliers with abs when the cv joint is on its way out. Check all your abs sensors too... but a new cv joint on my cavalier stopped the noise and made the abs work perfect again. Its done 74,000 if thats any help.

As For your idle problems, its 99.9% certain your idle air control valve and or air flow metre. It was extremely common on the ecotecs after the vectra launch and it cost vauxhalll thousands. It also affects Astra's Ecotec Cavaliers, Zafira Meriva and so on!! I know the local vauxhall dealer well and ive seen this many times. Before you replace it.. get it cleaned, aswell as your throttle body. You can do it yourself if you have haynes manual, use some petrol on a clean cloth or carb cleaner and get rid of any carbon deposits. Then plain and simply take it for a good thrashing, using all the rev range... these engines need to breath.

I dont want to bore you but your not alone with the symptoms, its very common, your local Vauxhall dealer will help with the cleaning out. My 98 Vectra SRi had the problem quite alot.

Spark plugs could be wrong type or brand for engine, try a new set and if your fussy they can be torque set so you know there in good. Check all your fuses for central locking and all connections between doors. It could be something simple.

Appart from that i doubt i can be much more help, Give LMFvauxhall a call if you want a new IAC valve or metre, they do genuine discount parts and they are a top top company!

Good Luck

Ross

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Ross

Thanks for your reply.... something about that CV joint thing makes a lot of sense.... recently had the n/s front replaced as the previous one shattered, and the MOT reported it as stiff, and that the lower ball joint was split. Will investigate further on that front.

I'm doing some overtime this month so I'm gonna get booked into the local Vauxhall dealer for a full diagnosis, see what they recommend. I've checked fuses/cables on central locking (only rear doors affected), so I think its the 'bit' (can't think of proper name just now....) inside the door that needs checking over, just can't figure out how to get the window winder handle off to remove the panels. Haynes manual says something about a clip, but I can't see one.

Thanks for info on LMFVauxhall, will check them out for pricing on any bits needed.

Thanks again for your help.
    John

Rosco83
    Your welcome for the help John, gald it was help. The window winder should pop off with anice chunky flathead screwdriver behind it. A mate of mines 97 Astra's window winders come off all the time lol.

Hope you get it sorted, sounds like a good motor

Ross =o)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Might be worth checking the cable between the door and the pillar. They sometimes get damp and play havoc with the central locking. Just unplugging the cable, a quick WD40 spray and refitting should help.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...