Thread: Tyre Pressures

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tyre Pressures

I have a 1.8 SRi Astra G 5door. I have 17" Astra Coupe Turbo wheels on it. I have read some where that the pressures should be 36psi but my local VX dealer says 30 psi.

Anyone got any views?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used to run 32 PSI in the fronts, that was fine with the standard Dunlops, but when I changed to Toyo's I found 29 PSI worked better,

I actually run a higher pressure in the rears than the fronts, someone at work recommended that and it seems to work well, turns in better.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Standard pressure on the coupe turbo with 17" wheels is 39psi front and 36psi rear. Seems high to me - but that is what Vauxhall say in the hand book and that is what I use.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tyre pressures

Found this , may help
    http://www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/tyrepressures vauxhall.html

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Link not working for me?????
    Calibra 2.0 8v

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_1.816v
    Yeah sorry about that
    was having loads of grief with cut/paste. Firefox settings wouldnt let me do it.
    (and I ran out of time)
    but its got some good info

@Rob_1.816v thanks for `sorting it`

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting topic for a couple of reasons. Firstly you can't use the pressures for the wheels off the turbo as the turbo is a heavier car and thus requires greater tyre pressures, secondly I'd say you can't use the pressures for your model as the turbo uses thinner section tyres so the same pressure doesn't apply. Why do I say this? well I fitted 18" wheels to my 1.8 Elegance version, this was with 215/35x18 tyres. Asked around and was told to trial and error the pressures, ended up trying 34 all round but this felt hard so eventually settled on 30psi all round. Car handled great and tracked like it was on rails. Eventually though I ended up with all 4 alloys buckled, not kerbed, not hit any potholes, no marks on rims, just buckled. Appears that 30psi wasn't enough pressure for the tyre and any major shocks weren't absorbed by the tyre as they should be but went directly into the alloy. Put the OE wheels back on, also alloys, and immediately noticed that even on the correct pressures the car felt like it was riding on the crown of the tyres compared to the 18s. However the car still handles great, never slides, even in the wet so the Vauxhall pressures must be correct for the cars weight. If you going to try pressures I'd suggest you err on the over inflated side and check the wear patterns on the tread. Vauxhall rims are damned hard to buckle unlike after market rims but I'd not want you to trash the rims for the sake of a few Psi. Maybe put a chalk mark all the way across the tread and drive down the road, if it's correct it should all rub off quickly, any left shows which parts of the tyre ain't in contact with the road surface so you could adjust pressure accordingly.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.