Thread: Grommet through bulkhead?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Grommet through bulkhead?

I know there have been loads of posts reference this but they all seem to lead to 'there is no topic'.
    Anyone found the elusive grommet? (Mk4,5dr , 99, 1.6i 16v sport)
    Am fitting my bluetooth handsfree and needed a battery connection, any chance I can use positive and gnd wires for stereo behind centre console? Cheers chaps!
    1.6 16v Sport, Red, Debadged, Boot spoiler, Sportex 3" Exhaust, RamAir Induction, Irmy grille

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It took me ages to find a gromit in my coupe, however there is one and here's how to find it:

From the inside of your car remove the fuse box cover, then drop the fuse box down, this allows you to reach the gromit from the inside.

To get to the gromit from the engine bay look at the O/S (drivers side)suspension turret, place your hand behind it on the bulk head, you should be able to find a grommit about 4cm in diameter on the bulk head near where the inenr wing joins it. if you push the gromit out you be able to see the hole from the inside of the car to the top right of the acceletor pedal though the gap where the fuse box normally sits.

Hope the above helps, but it's easy when you find it.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    this is only for "drive by wire" throttle cars the SPORT is a machanical linkage to the throttle body therefore this gromet is taken up by the accelerator cable!!

as you only want the powre for a handsfree kit i cant see there being a problem with running it off the power lead that feeds the HU after all its not going to be drawing much current.

all you will need to do is take the radio out and cut the power cable (red wire i belive but get a second opion on that before cut wires) and fit in a 1 to 2 connector block!
    one lead to your hansfree kit and the other side back to the HU

if you want to get a direct connection to the battery the only thing you can do is drill a hole through the bulk head if you remove the glove box do it from there from inside the car into the engine bay but becareful of the power steering pump that is the otherside of the bulk head!

once you have got the glove box out you will see that there is a rectanula indent in the sound deading if you drill the hole in the bottom righthand coner of this indent you will miss the power steering pump by about three inches!!

hope this helps

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    To help you out a bit more I wouldn't bother going to the battery for the the power connections, it's only a 2 amp fuse so we always connect to the back of the head unit
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've just fitted a nokia handsfree kit to my car. Used the ignition sense, +12v constant power supply and ground wires all from my head unit, works just fine

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Apologies for hijacking the thread. But I got a 99 sport with no fly by wire, is that grommet still useable? If not, how has everyone else laid there live for amps?
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace
    Apologies for hijacking the thread. But I got a 99 sport with no fly by wire, is that grommet still useable? If not, how has everyone else laid there live for amps?
    The grommet will be used for the accellerator cable then. You might be able to squeeze you wire through it to but personally i'd drill behind the glovebox
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason